Shift cable routing

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer
MC 1 drive with merc 350

Is there a best way to route the shift cable once it passes through the transom plate? if I route the cable over the starboard side y pipe, between the pipe and the bell housing, it seems to work but their is a big loop of shift cable back in the transom area. Is their a better way?

thanks

Ed

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Shift cable routing

Ed, MC-1 with 350 isn't enough information. There are several locations of the shift plate that fit in that description. A year would be more helpful, engine and drive serial numbers would be better.

Chris....

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Chris, 1979 Century 3000 with a MC1 outdrive and a 350 V8 setup. I am just trying to find the right way to snake the shift cable through the exhaust, and bell housing area up to the shift plate on the back of the engine. Serial numbers not handy.

thanks for your help!

dubs283

Vice Admiral

through transom assy, between y-pipe and flywheel cover, upwards, then under/between the riser/elbow towards the shift plate

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

shiftcableroute.jpg

thanks Dubs, I found this diagram also.

achris

The shift cable should come out of the passage in the inner transom plate, swing across to the port side in front of the exhaust pipe an up into the shaft plate from the port side of it. (I am assuming that the engine and drive are also 1979)...

Chris.....

achris

shiftcableroute.jpg

thanks Dubs, I found this diagram also.

Ed, That drawing it for late model engine with the shift plate on the starboard exhaust elbow. You have the shift plate on the back of the engine....

Chris........

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

Chris, does the diagram above seem wrong to you then?.......swing port side immediately?

achris

Chris, does the diagram above seem wrong to you then?.......swing port side immediately?

Yes, and yes....

(That diagram is right for models with the shift plate on the starboard exhaust elbow only)

84EdH

Chief Petty Officer

chris, I see now. we were posting at same time. your right, my shift plate on back of engine.

thanks

dubs283

Vice Admiral

those pictures for exhaust manifolds with center risers

the ops engine is equipped with log style manifolds, thus the cable does not rouet behind the steering cable, but upwards and under the riser/elbow then towards the shift plate