is this boat worth picking up?

m.qualls89

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So a guy wants to trade me this little boat for a pontiac fiero i have about $400 in. The boat is a 79 with a 25 horse johnson. Anybody know what its worth? Im just north of peoria il. Heres some pics.

rivermouse

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: is this boat worth picking up?

It is worth much more than 400. Engine alone is worth more than 400 if it works. The boat looks much older than a 79. If you want a good runabout you have found a bargin.

Depends if you wanted a boat? May need a few more $ to get ready for the water :(
If you're thinking of just rolling it over and make a buck, the key issue is - does the engine run ok ?

m.qualls89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ive got a boat. Just lookin for profit lol. If its sound any ideas on value?

jkust

Rear Admiral

The boat look a heck of a lot older than 79 and the the engine is where nearly all the value is if it works well. Post up some pics of the Fiero.

m.qualls89

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cant post a pic of the fiero right now. Its an 86 gt. But its rough. A project or a beater with a heater. I was gonna use it for a work car if i cant make $ on it. It was 6 different colors of spray paint when i got it. I rattle canned it flat black lol. The interiors rough in it and the vaccuum lines are a mess so it idles high. This guy said he wants to put a different motor in it and wants to trade me the boat. As long as i can sell it im all for it but im not the boat expert so i came here.

I don't think there's big bucks to be made here! Just saw a 1978 Evinrude 25 on eBay ( with electric start) - seller asking $350. (seller says it runs well, and includes starter wiring harness).

bigriver79

Seaman

If the boat runs I would think you could sell it easier than the car, and probably make a bill or 2.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

you will not make any money v. your time and registration costs. Unless $100 is "making money" to you

The motor is worth the $400*, the hull is not. Trailers seldom have much value.

The title will tell you how old the boat is. No title? Normally I'd say no deal except the motor is worth it; junk the rest.

*only if it's running great. Minor problems it's worth $100 major problems (parts) $75.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Boat and trailer look to be early 60's maybe late 50's, with a nice newer outboard.
Here in Mi I would guess you might get $500.00 for the motor n controls, the rest has little value to most.

fiero is the base car for a lot of kits and may be worth more than you think even in rough condition.