drive shaft hard to turn

Boat-ryder

Petty Officer 3rd Class
just got an 84 35hp evinrude and decided to replace all seals in lower.put lower back together and was testing before i put the lower back on and the drive shaft was really hard to turn.thought something was binding with impeller so i took the water pump back off and turned it with it off,its easier but still seams tighter than it should be.any thoughts?

Haffiman

Commander
Re: drive shaft hard to turn

If you pulled the prop-shaft during tear-down, you probably have 'missed' one if the detention balls when putting back together. Does it shift ptoperly?

Boat-ryder

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i did replaces the prop shat seal but never pulled the shaft out.it shifts into gear its kind of hard but thats prolly just because the shift shaft is disconnected and i have to use a screwdriver. how hard should it be to turn?with the waterpump tight it was really hard but its a new impeller

Haffiman

Commander

If all you did was to pull the prop-shaft bearing housing and top bearing seal, should not be anything wrong.
With gear in forward, press the propshaft forward and wiggle the driveshaft (without pump/impeller) - you should feel the clearance between pinion and forward gear. If clearance, no problem. Put some dish-washing liquid on the impeller when installing, and check that the cup is properly seated in the housing. After install, you should be able to move the drive-shaft up and down a couple of mm freely.