72 merc 1150, prop interchange?

ajkustra

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 72 merc 115hp 1150. Its on 69 sportcraft seagull 16foot open bow. I need to find a used prop because mine is at a repair shop, and i cant get it back because the owner is mia going on a month now. I counted 15 splines on my prop shaft. I dont know the.diameter or pitch of my old one because i couldn't find any numbers on it, and now it's at the shop. Any advice on what size ans pitch.will be appreciated, also what other merc outboards and or outdrives would be appreciated.

On a side note, pittsburgh propeller will never again get my business, or anyone i know.

mr 88

Commander
Re: 72 merc 1150, prop interchange?

Probably a 15" pitch,may be 17". If it is a heavy water dragging boat and your normal head count is 4 along with it being a water sport pulling machine,then 15.You by yourself all trimmed out and boat has nothing in it but USCG stuff then 17".Need more specific info from you on the boat,use, to be able to say for sure.Not sure what your last question means.You can probably buy a complete new aluminum set up for 160 with hub kit. Or go ebay etc for a SS used one,depending on the waters you ply in,prop or prop and prop shaft are two things to consider when going SS vs Aluminum.

jestor68

Commander
Re: 72 merc 1150, prop interchange?

The 13-1/4 X 17 pitch should work fine for your boat. The Solas Rubex is probably the best bang for the buck.

I suggest you get a new one and keep your messed up(it will be if you ever get it back) reconditioned one as a spare.

A new Solas Rubex is $113 here.