1999 Mercruiser 3.0 engine water in oil

stomper1963

Cadet
Hello my name is Charlie and I am new to this forum.
I have read a lot of messages related and unrelated to my issues and I see that there are a lot of very good advice given. I am hoping as well to get some advice and ideas how to resolve my problem. I will try to provide as much info as possible.

I bought this boat in South Carolina this summer 2012 and at the time I knew very little about boats and engines. We test drove the boat and it seemed to run and operate fairly good and the overall condition of the boat itself is excellent and still feel I got a pretty good deal even if I have to spend a bit getting the engine repaired. I had checked the oil and it was clear as well other small checks before I purchased it but obviously I would never have known unless I knew more.
When I got the boat home I took it out 5 or 6 times each time I checked engine oil level and also levels in transom as well. I noticed that the engine oil was getting cloudy and then finally creamy like a chocolate milkshake.
I started to google this info and found iboats forums and others who had similar issues. I changed the oil and filter
again ran the boat another 5 times and again after the 5th time the oil was creamy hence water getting into oil. The only thing I have done so far are visuall checks around the block with no visible cracks and I removed 4 spark plugs and they all are evenly carboned charcoal with no signs of water fouling. The engine runs excellent. I have let it Idle while trolling and also pulled a water tube for my kids and had the throttle wide open on occasion, no sign of engine trouble. It starts up right away hot or cold. No unusual noise, knocks or vibration anywhere. The floor is solid and the hull does not show any signs of water damage due to sinking or rain damage. No sign of white or black smoke during engine operation. I know that in most cases I've read that water in oil leads to cracked block which I will have to face the music either way. I have read that there are 4 or 5 ways water intrusion can occur.
1. cracked black
2. cracked head
3. blown leaking head gasket
4. Manifold leakes due to corrossion including leaking elbow and or riser and gasket
5. Leaking Bellows
6. Rare but read this can be an unbalanced or dented prop causing stress and allowing water to intrude. Yes prop is slightly dented and skeg plate is damaged. In fact half the skeg plate is missing and is bent. I inspected it and I cannot see holes and am not sure this could be the cause.
I would like to know if the best place to start my investigation would be to remove the manifold and head. I guess this is the least expensive way to begin and I have ordered a new gasket set to replace them as needed.
I plan to have the head magnifluxed and inspected. I did have a look at the bellows as best as I could and they do look fairly new assuming I am looking at the right thing, lol. They look like black rubber boots held by screw clamps that protect the drive shaft and gimble bearing?
Thank you in advance for any help. I look forward to reading any replies.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1999 Mercruiser 3.0 engine water in oil

Chances are it's a cracked block. Many hope for a head gasket, it just never is.
All it takes is one freeze, even in SC it happens.

Have a look at this Merc service bulletin.

View attachment 01-13 Water Intrusion.pdf

jtracc

Seaman

Chances are it's a cracked block. Many hope for a head gasket, it just never is.
All it takes is one freeze, even in SC it happens.

Have a look at this Merc service bulletin.

View attachment 169079

i am really hoping for his sake its not a cracked block...:facepalm:

achris

More fish than mountain goat

i am really hoping for his sake its not a cracked block...:facepalm:

We all do, but you know the old saying....

Many come in hope, few leave happy...

stomper1963

Cadet

Hello I spent a few hours today to take the head out and look what I found. Looks like a fairly long crack along the top from one end to the other. You can see the orange rust coming through the crack line which is the same color of the rust inside the water tunnel. Looks like I found the source of the water intrusion. The head and pistons seem fine lucky for that.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1653.jpg
    IMG_1653.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1654.JPG
    IMG_1654.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1

stomper1963

Cadet

Can anyone advise me where to get a good deal on a replacement cylinder head for this engine Mercruiser 3.0L?
Also If I get a new one that's complete do I have to make any adjustments to Valves. The same with if I have to transfer all my hardware from the old head to a new one I assume I have to seat the valves anything else?
Thank you in advance

Bondo

Staff member

Can anyone advise me where to get a good deal on a replacement cylinder head for this engine Mercruiser 3.0L?
Also If I get a new one that's complete do I have to make any adjustments to Valves. The same with if I have to transfer all my hardware from the old head to a new one I assume I have to seat the valves anything else?
Thank you in advance

Ayuh,.... I wouldn't waste money on a head, til ya verify the Block ain't cracked....

I'm thinkin' it probably is...

BajaDan

Cadet

I'm new here too, but take Bond-o's advice. You could spend a lot of time and money replacing the head only to find out the problem isn't fixed (a.k.a. cracked block). I just went through this ordeal and ended up buying a new 3.0L long block. Big money spent, but at least I'm not wasting time chasing down cracks in the cast iron block and head. Good luck...

stomper1963

Cadet

Update on this issue: I managed to get a remanufactured head for my engine. I did carefully inspect the entire block and also tested it via pressure test and the block is in A1 shape. I also replaced most gaskets ans recommended along with a bunch of other new parts. Entrie cost of the repair since I did the job myself was just under $700. I have ran the boat 6 times since about 15 hours and the oil is clean, no more water in the oil. Thanks for the replies. If anyone wants to know where I got the head send me an email just respect for iboats which is great for many things as well.
Thanks

IES99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update on this issue: I managed to get a remanufactured head for my engine. I did carefully inspect the entire block and also tested it via pressure test and the block is in A1 shape. I also replaced most gaskets ans recommended along with a bunch of other new parts. Entrie cost of the repair since I did the job myself was just under $700. I have ran the boat 6 times since about 15 hours and the oil is clean, no more water in the oil. Thanks for the replies. If anyone wants to know where I got the head send me an email just respect for iboats which is great for many things as well.
Thanks

You did great work and at a great price for all that you did. Hats off to you. Luckily it was the head and not the block. Enjoy the boating!