1971 glastron open floor fishing boat with stick steer

jcchappy

Seaman Apprentice
Early this summer I got a boat given to me. 1971 glastron just a little 2 man fishing boat with a 50 horse evinrude stick steer. Engine ran on muffs after I got it home. Floor was rotten of course and I found not much of the stringer left. I have already thrown away the floor and all the water logged foam. Transom is also rotten down low. My plan of attack is still beind debated. The stringer fiberglass is rock solid but all the wood that they were formed around is rotted. As far as the transom I think I am going to brace the side of the boat together as it sits now and cut the back portion of the cap off to gain access to the transom. Cut out transom replace wood and refiberglass. As for the stringers i am not sure if I am going to start over or do something homebrew. But not halfa**. I thought about just removing the rotted wood if I can and leaving the stringer hollw. plan 2 cutting a slit in the top of the strings and inserting new wood inside them and refiberglassing. and crazy option 3 is to use thick wall pvc pipe with fiberglass over to make stringers. I'm sure i'll get a lot of don't do that or do option 2 and start from scratch but that is why I am posting to get a feel for what i really need to do. 1972-Glastron-Ad-2.jpg2012-06-15 15.06.54.jpg2012-06-15 15.39.59.jpg2012-06-15 17.13.34.jpg

jcchappy

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1971 glastron open floor fishing boat with stick steer

I just found this picture and this is what I thinking about doing for the transom. thanks jbcurt00

2012-08-01_151144.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

You're welcome. If I remember correctly that's BoatGoatMFG :D or maybe I posted it in his thread...

I remember posting that pix, just not where :facepalm:

Not me in the pix though, but I'm not nearly so handsome as a fiberglass covered supersized smurf look-a-like......

If the cap is in good shape, and you don't have to pull it, that's a good way to get the transom out. Of course, the splashwell repair is to 100% visible work, so you'll need to do a really good job cutting, fitting & repairing it when you start putting it back together.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Not sure how "good" I would consider the glass on the stringers if water leaked in and rotted the wood. Taking that into consideration, it would probably inspire me to cut everything off flush with the hull and start over... I'm sure you would do a much better job by hand than they did at the factory.

That's a cool lookin' little boat and it should fly with that 50hp on it and dry foam and decking.