Intermittent running issues with 2006 496HO

NJOutlaw25

Recruit
Here is the information that I can provide. Boat is a 2006 Baja Outlaw, original 496HO motor with 125 hrs and I'm the original owner. Just about 1 month ago the engine started to act up, I would be cruising and all of a sudden the engine would cut out and loose power and will only run at idle. If I try to give it throttle it sputters and at that point it seems like it's no longer running on all 8 cylinders. If I turn of the ignition key and start the boat back up it's fine, I can go again and it will be fine until the random issue begins again.
I've owned this boat for 5 years without so much as any problems, it's regularly maintained with new fluids, spark plugs, etc..

I took my boat out this past Sunday and this series of events (running good and then cutting out, turning off the key and restarting it) happend about 5 times over the course of 45 minutes.

So I have a few questions..

1 - Does this motor have a diagnostic scanner for the ECM, is it like the OBD2 for a car or something different? Also where is it located on this 2006 motor?

2 - Anyone else have any experiences like this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Intermittent running issues with 2006 496HO

What's the full model number or serial number of your engine. Volvo doesn't list engines by year, besides, that is the year of the boat and the year of the engine could be different.

It does hook up to a scanner, but not the automotive type. http://www.rinda.com/marine/mtspec.htm#techmate