Confused/Frustrated......Trim Issues

cbennett242

Recruit
I'm totally confused so any help will be much appreciated. I have a 85' Alpha 1 drive on my Formula. Drive will trim up and down just fine unless I trim the drive all the way down. If drive is all the way down, it will not come up OR trailer. No clicking sound, no nothing. Only way to get the drive to come up is to jump it from the battery. Ideas??

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Confused/Frustrated......Trim Issues

I'm totally confused so any help will be much appreciated. I have a 85' Alpha 1 drive on my Formula. Drive will trim up and down just fine unless I trim the drive all the way down. If drive is all the way down, it will not come up OR trailer. No clicking sound, no nothing. Only way to get the drive to come up is to jump it from the battery. Ideas??

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Grab yer test light, 'n see where you've got power, 'n where ya don't,...

Sounds like a wirin' Problem, probably due to age, or previous owner fixes...

tpenfield

Staff member

yup, sounds like wiring issues. If you do not have a maintenance manual for your engine/outdrive, now would be the time to get one. there are some maintenance manual resources in the 'stickies' at the top of the forums, as well. There are fairly decent wiring diagrams in the manuals for the engine. Most of the wiring is based on the engine (not the boat).

There is a 'limit switch' on one side of the outdrive and a 'sender' on the other side. They both look the same, but are marked accordingly. It sounds like somehow the limit switch is messed up and wired into both the "trim" switch and the "trailer" switch at the helm.

cbennett242

Recruit

yup, sounds like wiring issues. If you do not have a maintenance manual for your engine/outdrive, now would be the time to get one. there are some maintenance manual resources in the 'stickies' at the top of the forums, as well. There are fairly decent wiring diagrams in the manuals for the engine. Most of the wiring is based on the engine (not the boat).

There is a 'limit switch' on one side of the outdrive and a 'sender' on the other side. They both look the same, but are marked accordingly. It sounds like somehow the limit switch is messed up and wired into both the "trim" switch and the "trailer" switch at the helm.

Thanks! I was leaning towards this as well. Any idea how easy/difficult of a fix this may be?? I have never dived into the sender or limit switch before. Appears to be a fairly easy fix/adjustment from what I've been looking at but idk......