Run time on oil change

yelmrap

Cadet
Long story short, the used BR I picked up didn?t reach WOT.
So following the sticky?s I did a base line tune-up, compression test, replace all filters, oil, lube and pressure tested the outdrive.
She runs great!
My question is since this service I have ran about 2 hrs of cruise time and maybe 20 minute at WOT, should I be changing the fluids again before I put her to bed for the winter?
I?m thinking yes.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Run time on oil change

always replace the fluids right at winterization. engine oil, outdrive gear lube, etc.

tpenfield

Staff member

on the flip-side of the coin . . . I would not change the fluids with such low usage. Generally I change oil every 50 hours and outdrive fluid when I get a-round-tuit.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Unless you've got water in the oil/lube(which apparently you KNOW you don't)...you're throwing your money away changing it. That oil IS new. There is NO reason whatsoever to change it with that little time on it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

oil that is in the engine that has gone thru more than a few minutes of run time starts to become acidic. It is no longer new oil once the key is turned and the engine is run. It attacks the bearings, etc during storage. It is best to store motors with fresh oil in it. Also, the 50 hours of operation or 60 days is the recommended interval - Which ever occurs first.

Also, regarding the gear case, at least pull the lower plug and make sure there is no moisture. The intent of a pre-storage oil change in the lower is also to ensure you do not have water in the drive which will freeze and crack.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You'll hardly miss the $20 you'll spend on oil, but if you have a problem you'll never forget you didn't change it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your oil is fine. After only 2 hours there isn't enough acid build up to hurt anything. If there isn't any gas smell to it (Fuel problem) or it's milky (water in the oil) you will be fine for over the winter storage.

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Acidic... doubtful, crazy there are plenty of cars recommend yearly oil changes and/or when the computer says the oil life is down to zero.

2hrs... i would think of that as a thorough distribution :) (opposed to the typical couple minutes)

if it was 2hrs at WOT, or 2hrs on a new block/engine... might be a different situation

yelmrap

Cadet

Thanks for the input guys.
Dan, Good idea about pulling the plug on the out drive to verify no water accumulation.