Saturn kaboat which engine should I buy.

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys this is my first post on this forum. I'm looking to buy the 12 ft kaboat and can't decide which engine. It will just be me and my boy. I weigh 200lbs and he ways 45 lbs. I don't need a lot of speed but I would like the boat to plane. I'm torn between the Suzuki 2.5 and the Tohatsu 3.5. I can't go any bigger on size due to a compound fracture of my right humerus 8 months ago from a nasty moto crash. Arm strength just is not there anymore. Also would either engine plane the 14ft kaboat too? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Saturn kaboat which engine should I buy.

Welcome to the forums,

Will have my doubts if possible to plane a 12Ft with a 3.5 HP and 2 mates. Just for goofing around, will push fast wherever you plan to go but not plane. Why are you interested in a K boat whick is very narrow and not a standard same air floor or alum size sib ?

Happy Boating

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Welcome to the forums,

Will have my doubts if possible to plane a 12Ft with a 3.5 HP and 2 mates. Just for goofing around, will push fast wherever you plan to go but not plane. Why are you interested in a K boat whick is very narrow and not a standard same air floor or alum size sib ?

Happy Boating

Agreed. If you're already thinking about getting on plane I don't think a Kaboat is what you want.

Joe Zens

Cadet

Hi!!! I have a 14 ft. Kaboat and love it!! I have a 6 Hp.4 stroke Yamaha engine, and I can go 17 mph with just me and I wiegh 210 lbs. Me alone. I also have a 2.5 suzuki 4 stroke and I can go up to 10 mph wide open. (Sitting in middle of boat) me alone. With two might /might not plane. You will love the fuel mileage!!!! The fuel consumption on these boats with these small four strokes, a homeless person could afford. Congrats. Joe

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I bought the yamaha 2.5 hp motor. Huge mistake. The boat moves like a turd. It's only good for a pond. If you are thinking about it don't do it. you will be sorry and wished you bought the larger motor. I'm upgrading to the 6hp yamaha this weekend. I will post my results.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Bad music, a costly experimentation. If 3.5 HP was unsure about boat going on plane, why did you buy a 2.5 ? 6 HP should perform much better,

Happy Boating

gwozhog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bad music, a costly experimentation. If 3.5 HP was unsure about boat going on plane, why did you buy a 2.5 ? 6 HP should perform much better,

Happy Boating

Hey before you go judging me and telling me my music sucks take a look at my freakin arm. Notice how it is bent backwards. This pic was taken moments before I was loaded on life flight. I mentioned in my original post that I had a bad motorcycle crash and could not lift a lot of weight but i guess you did not read that. Well it's been 14 months and now I'm stronger and would like a faster motor. In another year I will probably upgrade to the 100 pound 9.9.hp motor. And if you think a 2.5 hp motor is a costly mistake you need a better job. For now I'm happy to lift a 60 pound motor and have another harley in the garage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Nobody is judging you, it's just a simple comment, take it seriously if you want to, but you are personally recognizing it was a huge mistake; both Tohatsu 2.5 & 3.5 weights exactly same...

Happy Boating

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey before you go judging me and telling me my music sucks take a look at my freakin arm. Notice how it is bent backwards. This pic was taken moments before I was loaded on life flight. I mentioned in my original post that I had a bad motorcycle crash and could not lift a lot of weight but i guess you did not read that. Well it's been 14 months and now I'm stronger and would like a faster motor. In another year I will probably upgrade to the 100 pound 9.9.hp motor. And if you think a 2.5 hp motor is a costly mistake you need a better job. For now I'm happy to lift a 60 pound motor and have another harley in the garage.
Since you have a weight constraint why not get a propane engine
They are on average 10 pounds lighter than there gas cousins and you dont have to worry about them clogging up.
Also the the 2 1/2 and the 5hp can even run on the little 1 pound bottles

ReelSlow72

Seaman Apprentice

Agreed. If you're already thinking about getting on plane I don't think a Kaboat is what you want.

I am in the market for a Saturn Kaboat myself. a 15fter actually, the SK470 - do they not plane well?