My Thread went dead, a few simple questions from the 1970's

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a thread going about my 1974 Evinrude 135, It pretty much petered out. Please help me diagnose my problem by answering these questions.

1) What should my DVA Voltage be from the yellow stator wires? (my brown wires to the power pack are at 300 so I'm happy with those)

2)When testing my pickup/trigger coils, do I use a DVA (which I do have)? and what wires am I supposed to hook my leads to? also will I obtain my required .5 volts while just cranking, or do I need to be running?

3) Last can someone tell me how to test my coils---- all the links that people direct me to require a resistor of some sort in place of a spark plug---- I don't have any such tool

My problem is with intermittent spark if you were wondering--- been trying to fix this motor for YEARS!!! I even took it to a couple different marine repair shops..... still haven't pinned down the issue.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: My Thread went dead, a few simple questions from the 1970's

For the information you are looking for, go to the CDI website and look up your engine, use their trouble shooting guide to help you find your problem.

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I got it..... Before I try...... Can I get sufficient reading while cranking or do I need to have the engine running? Also will bad plugs or coils affect my trigger coil or power pack voltage readings?

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

how it works the stator makes current as the flywheel turns so its better to have the motor running that current then gets sent to the power pack it is stored in there with a capacitor \ as the flywheel turns the line in the inside diameter of the flywheel has got a groove \line in when it passes through the hall sensor in the timer base it sends a signal \ pulse to the power pack to tell it now release that current you got from the stator it then gets released & goes to the coil the coil makes the current stronger & goes to plug . so i cannot see the coil affecting the trigger or power pack because the message come from there to the coil , the coil will however cause problems for your plug if its not working properly

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do power packs sometimes die slowly? Like work one minute and not another. Or drop only one cylinder, then pick it back up.

ckraker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just ran some tests, triggers are both at 1.5 volts which is above the .5 spec. Input on brown and brown yellow is over 300.
The last test I did was with my dva from ground to the orange coil wires, which only produced 10-12 volts. Not sure I did the test right, but I think those should be over 150 volts, right? The motor still starts, but it's not easy and I cant get the spark to jump it's 7/16 gap. Should I be purchasing a new power pack?

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

The easy way to find out , if its your power pack because you have the old system power pack where the wires screw onto the pack , change the wire around coming from the trigger all this does is then changes the firing order , they are marked 1&3 are the 2 top cylinders 2&4 the 2 bottom cylinders at present the motor fires 1342 make it fire 4213 this method will give you the answer