Are Mercury fuel quick-connect fittings different sizes?

bharlan067

Recruit
Hi, I'm new to the forum as well as new to boating in general so please excuse any ignorance... I tried to search for this question, but had no luck.

I recently purchased a 20ft pontoon with a 2002 25hp Mercury. I also purchased a 1992 8hp Mercury to be mounted as a kicker motor.

I'm currently replacing the fuel line and would like one line to service both motors, but I have a few questions.

1.Is the 2-prong quick connect fitting that gets installed in a portable gas tank the same as the fitting that is found on the motor? Or, do you need a specific tank-side fitting and different specific motor-side fitting?

2. Is the 2-prong fitting on the 1992 8hp the same specification as the 2-prong fitting on the 2002 25hp?

All three 2-prong fittings (tank, 25hp, 8hp) look very similar to my eye, but the female coupling that I took off the old fuel line doesn't seem to "fit" on to all of them... won't lock down, or too tight and I don't want to force it. I thought it might just be an old or mis-functioning female connector, but then I also thought the prongs could be slightly different dimensions.

Last question... I believe the old fuel line was 5/16 ID in size. Could there be any issue in replacing it with 3/8?

Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Bill Harlan
Harrisburg, PA