How angry would you be?

rbh

Fleet Admiral
We have lost cats before to coyotes and last wendsday our cat went missing.
She always comes in for breakfast or a scratch around 10-11 am so when she did not show up I got worried. went out and called her, nothing (she comes when you call).
So when she did not show up that night and thursday we felt the worst had happened.

Sunday afternoon, the wifes walking the fenceline and discovers about 30 feet into the neighbours yard a live trap with our cat in it, dehydrated and starving!!!!!!!

She had been in there for 5 and a half days without food and water.

At this point I will not say what I wanted to do, but thing could have got ugly fast.

We have their cows, horses, turkeys, dogs, cats, kids all coming into our yard, so when this kinda crap happens,
"I GET A LITTLE PIZZED OFF"

Rant over

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: How angry would you be?

I don't agree with the leaving it in the trap for5 days, however if its your cat, it should stay in your house.

My neighbors have a cat that they used to let run free, I used to find paw prints on my hood and signs of the cat under my truck in the driveway apparently trying to stay warm. I won't assume your neighbors motives, but will say buffing scratches out of my hood, and cleaning up cat scat got really old very quick.

73 Bill

Summer Fun

Banned

I would ask him if he was trying to catch something. Why he didn't check the trap everyday !!!.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

My last cat scratched the nose of an English Bulldog a few years ago. The owner was way upset and I pointed out that the dog got scratched harassing my cat, Sniggle, in my yard. Anyone who lets a show dog run amock in the neighborhood is asking for problems.

About a year later, the two hooligan English Bulldogs had my then new kitten, Snortz, cornered in my yard. They were barking and as I was making my way to rescue her, Sniggle flat out tackled the closest dog in a scene reminiscent of an Animal Planet episode. I saw fur and blood fly as she bit into the neck and scratched deeply with her back claws. The dog rolled over and was gone an instant later howling all the way home. The other pooch looked at the pissed off Sniggle and also got the heck out of there before she took him down. It was shocking to see my usually tranquil cat transformed into a tiger protecting her young.

A week later, as I was leaving for a cave diving trip, Sniggle wasn't looking so good. I almost cancelled the trip, but my neighbor who was watching her, promised to take her to the vet if she worsened. I got home to watch her die and the vet told me that she had been poisoned. I found cat food spread out on my side of the fence, so I am sure that the owner of the dogs took vengeance on my cat. I'm a forgiving person, but I just can't let this go. No, I did nothing back to the dogs. It's not their fault. Only humans can be so inhumane.

OkieToon

Cadet

I say invite them over to your house for dinner and serve Smoked Turkey and Brisket.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Around here I am pretty sure if you are caught not checking any kind of trap daily you can be fined or charged w animal cruelty. I'll admit I 've delt w problems w feral cats before, but I would never harm one that is obviously well taken care of. Laws or not It is repulsive for ANY type of animal to be treated that way. I would be livid and scared of how I may react in that situation rbh. I hope your cats OK now.

tpenfield

Staff member

What are the legalities regarding the use of open traps? I am assuming that small children can get caught in these things too???

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Just to add a couple of points.
First we are rural he is on 20 acres we are on 6 so its not as if we are within eye sight of each others homes.
and second the trap that was used is identical to the one BOB VT used on the skunk.

Catch and release, not catch and starve!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Just to add a couple of points.
First we are rural he is on 20 acres we are on 6 so its not as if we are within eye sight of each others homes.
and second the trap that was used is identical to the one BOB VT used on the skunk.

Catch and release, not catch and starve!

Sounds like one of those Havahart traps, which are humane, but leaving the poor critter in there starving is clearly not. I'm not a big fan of cats, but that's just cruel and you're right to be POd. Not sure what you can do though. Maybe return the trap to your neighbor and ask them to check it daily if they intend to put it back out? Funny story; Last spring we were having problems with a neighborhood cat getting into our garbage and making a mess. I was pretty sure it was our neighbors' cat, but I wasn't positive and I really like them, so I called Animal Control and asked their advice. They said they could set a trap and if the cat was found in there a little spray from the hose would deter it from returning. Sounded humane enough to me, so they brought the trap out (one of those Havahart traps). I came home one day to find the cat in the trap eating the food and the trap door still open. Somehow I managed to sneak up on it and slam the door shut, but the little rascal was able to scramble out just as it was closing and only had its tail pinched a little. Apparently that was enough to keep it from coming back because I haven't seen it since. It was quite a sight though.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like one of those Havahart traps, which are humane, but leaving the poor critter in there starving is clearly not. I'm not a big fan of cats, but that's just cruel and you're right to be POd. Not sure what you can do though. Maybe return the trap to your neighbor and ask them to check it daily if they intend to put it back out?

Trap went under the outrigger of my crane truck and was down sized to the size of a magazine!!!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Trap went under the outrigger of my crane truck and was down sized to the size of a magazine!!!

Aha! Well, trap their llama and barbecue it then.:p

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

I would return it to the neighbor now and explain you emptied the trap of your cat after it had been gone for 5 days.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

rbh - Seems your neighbor in contrevention of the Criminal Code of Canada. http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-203.html#h-120

I also checked with a friend of mine that is in the trapping business who told me that there is a provincial statute here in Ontario issued through the Ministry of Natural Resources that states "Using a humane trap for the purpose of capturing and releasing a live animal. This trap must be inspected daily and contain sufficient food, water, and shelter from the elements."

Sorry, he didn't provide a link.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Of course I'd be angry but at the end of the day, cats face a lot of dangers if they are outside cats. We just adopted two cats after our longtime previous two got old and the adoption agreement disallows you from having the cats as outdoor cats. Point being the dangers are wide and you accept things wil happen if your cats are outdoors.

oldjeep

Admiral

Using a humane trap for the purpose of capturing and releasing a live animal

What if you are just using it to catch the critters and dump the trap in a bucket of water afterwards? Those type of traps are used around here to catch squirrels and it definitely isn't so that they can be relocated.

r.j.dawg

Ensign

oldjeep

Admiral

Apparently, Squirrels have special regulations in Ontario :confused: Scroll down to the bottom. http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/FW/2ColumnSubPage/290048.html

Wow, that is some pretty extensive documentatiuon

This one is my favorite

•If a squirrel is trapped down an exhaust fan or chimney, you can let the squirrel exit through the house or drop a line down from above so the animal can climb out.

Whats that Lassie? Timmy squirrel fell down the chimney? How about just smoking the little bastard out?

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class

Best passive aggressive technique - leave the squished trap on the steps with a note :

"Thanks for finding my cat.... glad she was only 'found' for 5 days... thanks again!"

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can I ask if you love your cat why was it running loose> Always tied our out just like you would a dog.