1989 Evinrude E60TLCEA - tell tale not working

jon705

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Over the last month or so I rebuilt the powerhead on an Evinrude E60TLCEA. Bored .030 with new pistons. Everything else was in spec.

After reinstalling the engine on the boat and firing up for a test the tell tale did not produce a stream. Took off the lower unit this morning and it looks as if the water tube - connecting to the water pump outlet and up through the midsection - may not have been connected. Would this cause the problem or should it still pump enough for the tell tale to work?

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1989 Evinrude E60TLCEA - tell tale not working

Over the last month or so I rebuilt the powerhead on an Evinrude E60TLCEA. Bored .030 with new pistons. Everything else was in spec.

After reinstalling the engine on the boat and firing up for a test the tell tale did not produce a stream. Took off the lower unit this morning and it looks as if the water tube - connecting to the water pump outlet and up through the midsection - may not have been connected. Would this cause the problem or should it still pump enough for the tell tale to work?

if it's not connected then this will have been the problem. Water goes up that tube to the powerhead.

jon705

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, how likely is it that the water tube would not connect to the water pump outlet? After pulling the lower unit I see how easy it is to make sure the two meet up when reinstalling, however is it easy to miss that connection when installing the midsection onto the lower unit? The latter is how I put it all back together after the powerhead rebuild.

fishfeatures

there should be no issue when rebuilding. The powerhead bolts onto the midsection easy enough, unless you've done something with the midsection, the water pump outlet should just slide up the midsection tube..
it's easier to have the lower unit off altogether, and when all rebuilt then just attach the lower unit as the last step, that's what i have done and never had an issue with it lining up.

jon705

Petty Officer 2nd Class

there should be no issue when rebuilding. The powerhead bolts onto the midsection easy enough, unless you've done something with the midsection, the water pump outlet should just slide up the midsection tube..
it's easier to have the lower unit off altogether, and when all rebuilt then just attach the lower unit as the last step, that's what i have done and never had an issue with it lining up.

Yes I found out shortly AFTER removing the midsection that it was NOT necessary. After removing the lower unit recently I now know to do that as a last step to ensure everything lines up. Thanks for your reply.

Everything is back together and I'm ready to test the theory that the water tube was not lined up but now she won't fire up! Pre-mix sprayed in cylinders = fire up but without that she's not getting fuel. Always something!

fishfeatures

I it helps, disconnect the line from the fuel pump the the T before it goes to the carbs, turn the key and if fuel pulses out then it's not the pump so must be carbs.

jon705

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I it helps, disconnect the line from the fuel pump the the T before it goes to the carbs, turn the key and if fuel pulses out then it's not the pump so must be carbs.

I think she was flooded last night. After sitting overnight and NOT pumping the primer bulb she fired right up. I revved up to 3,000rpm and after a bit of smoke cloud pulled back and she idled nicely. Found out the tell tale whole was plugged at the exit point. Pulled the tube off while running and a steady stream came out of the exhaust manifold. Tried blowing through the tube and it was blocked. Poked a toothpick through the plastic end piece and it was plugged with goop. Hooked the tube back up and had a steady stream. You'd think I'd have learned my lesson about checking the obvious first!

Thanks again for the replies.