Are inboards already or going to be something fewer of us use?

BugsBunnyBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just went to two shops locally today and just learned something I did not know. They actually told me they did not work on inboards. I have a 5.7 Merc. One shop manager told me they just hate to work on tight engine compartments where you have fight to just remove a starter. Both shops actually had tons on new and used boats but as I walked out noticed they were all outboards..
Can this be a regional thing we have a river here and the gulf is a 15 min drive. Seems all the boats I see on the road or the water are powered by outboards..
I still cant believe 2 shops turned down work.

86 century

Ensign
Re: Are inboards already or going to be something fewer of us use?

Neer anything close to salt water I would have nothing else heck if there was an outboard that would do what I need that's all I would own.

After the two I/O's I have ran into that where ran in salt water then as far as I can tell never flushed in your area I wouldn't work on them either.

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not wanting to work in cramped engine compartments is just sheer laziness.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

I'm in much the same boat, so to speak. I live on the coast and the VAST majority of boat owners here use outboards. Most of the local boat shops turn away I/Os and inboards. When I lived inland it seemed like everybody had a stern drive; getting them worked on was not a problem. But this isn't inland and the situation is reversed.

The next local guy you see with a stern drive, you ought to ask him who does his work and if he's satisfied with it. Go from there.

I was lucky enough to find a decent I/O guy and so I make it a point not to be an obnoxious customer. I need to keep him happy so he will continue to keep me happy. Otherwise I'm doomed to one of the vulture shops.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I still cant believe 2 shops turned down work.
This is why I work on my own boat. Most of the commercial boats down here have inboard engines. Most of the pleasure craft have outboard.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I've owned 3 inboards (one Chevy, one Ford, one Volvo) .... all three did OK and I did like some features they offered .... that said, since I have no plans to ever purchase another cruiser, I never want another one .... I'm not a small guy and the tight engine room made it impossible for me to work on my own boat .... for me 2 cycle outboards offer the best choice

Jim

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

for me 2 cycle outboards offer the best choice
Their days are numbered it seems. 4 cycle outboards are environmentally cleaner and quieter.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

As stated above, inboards are difficult to work on because of the tight quarters and they also take up valuable deck space.

Y'all can have my share of them, I'll stick to my outboard.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I remember the day around 1973 when a friend bought the biggest outboard made: a Johnson 135. Now they're up to at least 300 HP. As they keep getting bigger and better, they will be on more recreational boats.

On the coast, where people take their boating seriously, outboards are the only way to go for any boat under 20'. The breakpoint for sterndrives seems to be around 26'. OB's are way superior: they run in salt water with no extra care; self-contained unit; easier to repair and replace (including to upgrade); no freeze issues; no gaping hole in the stern; no complicated driver system to fail; no box taking up valuable space in the boat.

You also have to consider the manufacturer/sellers. If they can make more money building and equiping with an OB they will regardless of which is "better." just like the switch from roller trailers to dunk bunks. So if they can build a 19' pleasure boat cheaper with an OB than an i/o, that's what you'll see. And recreational buyers always go to the lowest price point.

As OB's are (or become) more prevalent fewer shops will choose to work on I/O's. But there will always be regional markets; the i/o seems popular among the trailer lake boaters, so as long as there's a demand, or a supply of old ones needing work, there will be a market and repair shops.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Their days are numbered it seems. 4 cycle outboards are environmentally cleaner and quieter.

don't know that the Evinrude E-TEC folks would agree with that .... so long as they make them and they continue to perform, that is the way we will go

Jim

oldjeep

Admiral

Probabally just a regional thing. You don't see outboards on anything but pontoons and fishing boats around here.

1980Coronado

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Seems as if people are using Inboard and I/O synonymously....they are different. Although a bigger cruiser with a straight inboard might have a cramped engine space, the smaller ones do not. They are much easier to work on than I/O's and there is no outdrive to service.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Seems as if people are using Inboard and I/O synonymously....they are different. Although a bigger cruiser with a straight inboard might have a cramped engine space, the smaller ones do not. They are much easier to work on than I/O's and there is no outdrive to service.
I have been in a number of engine compartments... my I/O has tons more room than any of the Inboards that I have worked save a 120 ft research vessel. Inboards still have transmissions and quite often, the deck has to be cut in order to do certain procedures. I appreciate a clean bilge when I am asked to assist or repair.

haulnazz15

Captain

I think it's a regional thing at this point. I'll agree with oldjeep, you don't see that ugly O/B hanging off of the back of much of anything but 'toons and bass rigs. Until they can come up with new designs like the prototype SeaRay cruiser which conceal the outboard to make it look like a stern drive, they won't even touch the runabout/cruiser market in any appreciable numbers. I'll take the loss of interior deck space in order to have a decent sunpad and swim platform every time. I can also replace a 300HP SBC damn near 4 times for the price of one 300HP O/B. Don't get me wrong, I like O/B's and admire the technology advances that have come in just the past decade or so, but you won't find me running one in anything other than the bass boat at this point (save for Philster's new Checkmate. :) .

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

your opinion--which I respect--shows the regional preferences. I have never met a boater who considers an OB "ugly"; it's simply part of the boat like wheels are part of a car, but I have heard that comment come from others.

they tried concealing the OB back in the late 50's early 60's but it was short lived b/c it simply didn't make sense.

Around here, boaters have no use for a sunpad. But they have plenty of things to do in the space it takes up. If it mattered you could carry a blow-up mattress. Swim platforms aren't important either; a ski step serves its function just fine. Maybe that's because we don't do a lot of sitting around, and there are so many places to beach when you swim that you don't need "an ugly old platform hanging off the back"? Again, it's simply preference based on how the boats are used; no right or wrong.

As for replacing, your analogy is flawed, b/c when you replace an engine block, that's just one part of the engine/drive system. If you compared replacing a block with replacing an OB head, then you are making a like comparison. Or replacing a whole OB is replacing the block, drive connections and outdrive of an I/O, stem to stern--a bit pricier.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

don't know that the Evinrude E-TEC folks would agree with that .... so long as they make them and they continue to perform, that is the way we will go

Was about to say the same thing... There are really no advantages a 4 stroke has over an e-tec in any way. Well, maybe I guess you could say the 4 stroke is better at holding your stern down, it does win in the weight category.

emoney

Commander

It's in where you live really. In my neck of the woods, nobody wants an inboard because it's harder to flush/maintain/etc. etc. When I lived in Kentucky, almost every pleasure boat was an I/O. To each his own and that's why there's so many options.

Having said all that politically correct stuff, nothing meaner looking that big ole' outboard hanging off the back and rumbling at take off. Although, these 4 strokes don't "rumble" as much I guess, lol. Oh, and for the record, chicks dig outboards. I'm just sayin'.........

shrew

Lieutenant

There are a couple of things to think about here. Outboards will not scale with the size of the vessel. Sure, someone can toss a one-off picture of a boat with 10 outboards on it, but by and large, your not seeing many 40 ft. flybridge sport fishers with outboards. You don't see any express cruisers with outboards either, with teh exception of the very rare post-production modification.

Yep a true inboard, whether it be straight drives or V-drives is different than an IO. However, that is more of a distinction in the drive train and not the engine or engine placement. The size of the engine compartment varies by manufacturer with obviously the smaller the boat the less room.

Georgraphic location varies as well. However, I would ask anyone who generalizes one way or the other to also consider the type of boat. It's the "All elephants are grey, but not all things grey are elephants" concept. If you look in your area and see predominantly Outboards, are you also seeing a lot of center consoles? For me, I see a mix of both, however most of the center consoles and walkarounds have outboards. Most of the express cruisers have I/O's (some large ones have inboards). All of the flybridge convertables, sportfishers and trawlers have inboards.

So someone doesn't want to do inboards and I/O's, that is hardly a indication of market trends. The inboard/IO will never go away.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I have been in a number of engine compartments... my I/O has tons more room than any of the Inboards that I have worked save a 120 ft research vessel. Inboards still have transmissions and quite often, the deck has to be cut in order to do certain procedures. I appreciate a clean bilge when I am asked to assist or repair.

My 29'er and now the 34' have a good amount of room in the engine bay. I had a twin I/O 27'er and it was a NIGHTMARE to even come close to working in the engines. Also I think most inboards I have been on, the deck doesn't need to be touched to remove the engine or transmission. Neither of my boats would have needed to be.

haulnazz15

Captain

your opinion--which I respect--shows the regional preferences. I have never met a boater who considers an OB "ugly"; it's simply part of the boat like wheels are part of a car, but I have heard that comment come from others.

they tried concealing the OB back in the late 50's early 60's but it was short lived b/c it simply didn't make sense.

Around here, boaters have no use for a sunpad. But they have plenty of things to do in the space it takes up. If it mattered you could carry a blow-up mattress. Swim platforms aren't important either; a ski step serves its function just fine. Maybe that's because we don't do a lot of sitting around, and there are so many places to beach when you swim that you don't need "an ugly old platform hanging off the back"? Again, it's simply preference based on how the boats are used; no right or wrong.

As for replacing, your analogy is flawed, b/c when you replace an engine block, that's just one part of the engine/drive system. If you compared replacing a block with replacing an OB head, then you are making a like comparison. Or replacing a whole OB is replacing the block, drive connections and outdrive of an I/O, stem to stern--a bit pricier.

I realize that much of it is due to design/purpose of the boat. However, you will find a much smaller percentage of people prefer the "looks" of an O/B boat to a stern drive. The lines of the boat are just cleaner and more appealing in general. My comment about "ugly O/B's" was mostly tongue-in-cheek. The cost of just an engine for a rebuilt SBC is around $1,500, the cost for a 300HP rebuilt powerhead is around $5K last time I saw a price on one, but maybe I'm not up to date on current pricing.

If you haven't seen that SeaRay cruiser, you should take a look. Twin outboards concealed with hatches on the deck and a swim platform. You'd never know it was O/B-powered while it was sitting in the water.

See it here: [URL]http://www.boattest.com/boats/boat_video.aspx?id=2752[/url]