electrical glitch

phatphil26

Recruit
Over the weekend I was cleaning my 23' Wellcraft Sportsman. I may have been a little too generous with the water hose in the helm area. I have lost all power to my accessories. I have power to the dash, all switches light up, my ignition still works but no lights, radio, depthfinder, bilgepumps etc. I have a dual battery setup with a Perko switch and have tried all 3 settings on the switch, both batteries have a good charge. My main fuse panel under the dash has no blown fuses and all the switches do not need breakers reset. Previous owner has wired most accessories himself with copper stranded wire with inline fuses direct to the battery. Should I start looking at all my ground connections first or where do I start?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: electrical glitch

There is no easy answer, you will just have to follow the power and ground cables from your accessory panel under the dash, back to the battery and find out where the power stops.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Why have a dual battery switch if everything is wired directly to the batteries. Makes no sense and does not protect against a dead battery if something is left on.

But as Don said. Start at the device and work backward toward the point where voltage is lost, or start where you have power and work toward the device. Work on ONE UNIT at a time. Chances are when you find and fix what killed that item you will also correct the others.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your engine (including ignition and gauges) is on (or should be on) a completely different circuit than your accessories. You've probably got a blown fuse at the battery on the line that powers your accessories. Get a multimeter if you don't have one and start from the battery and check for where you lose voltage.

Jlawsen

Master Chief Petty Officer

Your battery switch has a "common" post. That is where the +12vdc source for your helm originates. All the posts on your battery switch are +12vdc (commonly red). Just get a simple 12vdc automotive test light at your local autoparts store. Check for power from the common post to -12vdc (commonly called ground) while rotating your switch from off to 1, 2 and 1+2. You should indicate power, if not the problem is between the batteries and the switch and really easy to fix. If you do then get up under the dash and look for the +12v lead that feeds your fuse panel. It should be at least 10ga and red in color. Test it to ground with the test light and see if you have power. If you don't then locate the large black wire at the fuse panel.

Now theres and easy way and a hard way to do this next test. The easy way is to get yourself a long piece of black wire and connect one end to the -12v terminal at the battery then connect the other end to the -12v terminal at the fuse box. This is a temporary jumper that eliminates any possiblity of a problem in any of the grounds. The hard way? Ask me later.

Now, with the battery switch on check for power at the fuse box. If you have it, the problem is with the original ground (all black) wires. If the original wire person did it right, there will be a fuse on the -12vdc side and it's probably blown, you just have to find it.

If you still don't have it then the problem is with the main +12vdc circuit from the common post to the helm. Again, it's probably a blown inline fuse.

However, if reading this has given you some ideas and you want to go hunting for inline fuses then by all means, check them all and possibly save yourself a lot of time and trouble.

Over the weekend I was cleaning my 23' Wellcraft Sportsman. I may have been a little too generous with the water hose in the helm area. I have lost all power to my accessories. I have power to the dash, all switches light up, my ignition still works but no lights, radio, depthfinder, bilgepumps etc. I have a dual battery setup with a Perko switch and have tried all 3 settings on the switch, both batteries have a good charge. My main fuse panel under the dash has no blown fuses and all the switches do not need breakers reset. Previous owner has wired most accessories himself with copper stranded wire with inline fuses direct to the battery. Should I start looking at all my ground connections first or where do I start?

do you have one switch that can turn off the items that are not working like a master power switch?