Anyone have any ideas for hooking up a winch strap from 5' out?

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer
Looking for ideas to help with my launch & retrival - I can leave the trailer a little farther out of the water so the truck is not under water anymore but the bow eye is hard to get to with the pulpit & anchor hanging over my head. Anyone have any suggestions to help hook/un-hook the winch strap to the bow eye?

LK

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Anyone have any ideas for hooking up a winch strap from 5' out?

Maybe tie a loop of rope or strap around your bow eye and just leave it there, then hook to that. If you don't want it hanging down, then a small bungee to hold it up away from the water?

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wrap the strap a few time around a pole and clip it to the bow eye then just side the pole out. You will probably need a screw/nail on the end to keep the hook straight. I believe they sell a particular product for this exact purpose. Don't know what it is called, I am sure there is a "marine" name for it.

Alwhite00

I guess the hooking part I might be able to handle but there is a saftey catch on the hook that would make it difficult to remove - I guess I could take that off of the hook.:confused:

LK

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could always put a second hook on the end temporarily. When you get the boat within reach and steady take the second hook off and use your safety hook. Don't take the safety hook latch off.
Just throwing some ideas out there...
Another way you can do it is have a short line already hooked to the bow and use a pole to grab it. Attached to winch and pull in. When you get the winch all the way in you should be able to take the extra line off and reattach the winch and pull the rest of the way.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I installed a U-bolt on the top of my fender. I pull out the winch cable and clip it on ahead of time. Then back into the water far enough that the wheels are just a little wet and the winch stand is high and dry. Rear wheels of the car are 20' from the water's edge.

I have a walkway on the trailer, so I then walk out and then stand on the step pads I mounted on the fender. Remove the winch eye, turn around and clip it to the boat. Walk back and activate the winch. Two minutes later she's on the trailer and I drive to the parking area to finish the tie downs.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Give her a little juice and get it further up the trailer. I can usually get my boat within 18 inches with just the slightest throttle usage.

Not Power loading!

Alwhite00

Not going to happen, I am lucky to get help tying it up to the ramp dock. I'm pretty much a 1 man crew - Pull up to the dock, Trim up, Jump out & get the truck/trailer, back it down & hook it up. - Just would like a way to get the hook off & on without getting crushed by the pulpit/anchor or wading in the water.

Loading is not the only problem, when unloading by the time I have slack to un hook it, it is 5' away.

LK

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

You could add a step after back it down the ramp - get in and run it up the trailer a bit. I too have a 25' ish boat so were playing within the same size category. If your five feet away either load deeper or drive it further on. I have vertical tape on my guides that tell me when I'm in deep enough. That might help.

When I launch I back in, un-clip and can usually push up on the pulpit and break it loose and she will slide back a few feet on her own.

I have a two bunk tandem trailer. I;m thinking you need to be deeper. Course I'm in Florida and we all know we do things different down here :)

http://www.happycove.com/handyduck/ i think this is what you need if im correct it has a quick trigger disconnect so you just pull the trigger and hook falls off into the water. also can be used to hook from a distance. i do not own one and i have nothing to do with the company so i can not say if its a great idea or junk

the more i think about it the more i wonder if the hook is to big to fit the ring on the front of the boat. as you are only having trouble launching then maybe http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jobe-Quick-..._Waterskiing_Wakeboarding&hash=item4161b210f6

or something like it would work better.

i would not trailer with either so its something you would have to add before launching. plus im not sure how the metal one would hold up to salt water and it might be a problem if it rusts and jams while on the boat. just throwing ideas of what might work

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

your born watertight, simply walk out and clip on, or walk down the trailer

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My hands work pretty well. I grab the cable, take a few steps (yes, I don't mind getting my feet wet) and hook the cable on. Get a set of high boots or waders if getting wet is out of the question.

mohead1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

that Capt. Hook gismo is kinda cool.......just sayin

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anyone have a video of someone launching and retrieving a cruiser by them self? This seems in line with your OP Alwhite, so I hope you don't mind me asking.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

your born watertight, simply walk out and clip on, or walk down the trailer
^^^X2^^^

You aren't made of sugar...are you?;)

I always enjoy watching people do the trailer dance too...especially when they fall off.

I know some ramps can get a little "gamey"...but it's not gonna kill ya!

Scott Danforth

Staff member

Does anyone have a video of someone launching and retrieving a cruiser by them self? This seems in line with your OP Alwhite, so I hope you don't mind me asking.

come on and take a picture or video. I launch and retrieve my boat by myself often. Wind direction determines which side of the dock I launch and retrieve from. and every time, I take 2 steps into the water to connect the winch strap. when water temp is below 40, I use hip boots

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

come on and take a picture or video. I launch and retrieve my boat by myself often. Wind direction determines which side of the dock I launch and retrieve from. and every time, I take 2 steps into the water to connect the winch strap. when water temp is below 40, I use hip boots
You're too far away or I would - actually I wish you were closer, I would like to know someone with a cruiser up here.

I'm beginning to doubt my Mom who told me I was made of sugar, so you're probably right about melting. But, I'd still prefer to stay dry.

So do you walk down the courtesy dock to the truck with a bow line and pull the boat over to the trailer?

Alwhite00

everyone keep in mind this is not a 17' bowrider that is easy to muscle around - It's a 25' 6,000lb cruiser so if I can get the hook on without getting in the water that would be the bomb.:D The captain hook looks promising, I'm thinking just rubber band the saftey catch once I am ready to launch so I can un-hook it.

LK

Scott Danforth

Staff member

and your 25' boat is that much different from my 24' boat, or my buddies 27' Carver?

if you keep telling yourself you cant do it, you will phsych yourself into believing it. I didnt know people couldnt launch larger boats by them selves until I was told it couldnt be done, years after solo launching.