WOW Bottom cleaning

torombolo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Like the title said WOW, I have a Monterey 262 on a slip 100% of the time (Salt Water) due to some anoying tropical storms near Puerto Rico, work, etc I havent taken the boat out in 2 months, I knew the bottom needed cleaning but as a newbie I thought it could wait a little longer. Well long story short took the boat out on Sunday and got worried right away, it would not go over 2300 RPM's I was sure something was wrong and expensive in my boat. Well took it slow, went to the ca?o and once in the water notice that my dual prop had growth on both sides close to 1/2", the bottom had a nice fugly carpet also, spent the entire day cleaning, scrubbing, scraping. Hell I wore down a plantic scraper almost to the hendle, my knuckles have the evidence LOL. Anyway once done on the way back to slip I had one of the best rides on my boat since I bought it.
Man o man did I learn my lesson!!!!

Just sharing with you another newbie mistake!! Thanks for listening

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: WOW Bottom cleaning

Yeah, many of us learn the hard way to get down there once in awhile with a scraper and 'scrubby' pad :facepalm:

Around here there's less plant life and more barnacle growth. Get enough of them on the running gear and they really disrupt the shape of props and lower units. Same result.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Remember to scrape 'em off before that dry out. They get real tough to get off when dried.

torombolo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I assure you it has been added to the regular monthlly list. LOL

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Is the bottom painted?

If not, any slipped saltwater boat should be painted, for most places if it's in the water 2+ weeks

If so, ablative paint (now the most popular kind, it seems) needs to be run to work. Non-ablative is for sitting there and slow boats.

You need local advice for which specific kind works there.

torombolo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Home, It does have antifouling paint, not a year old, It was my neglect