My 125 HP 1997 Merc lost a cylinder, now what?

tjerzak

Cadet
Hi Everyone.
This past Sunday as I was heading out for a little early morning fishing, my 1997 125hp Merc stalled out while I was cruising along at 30 mph. I had just left the dock and had been running for a min. or 2 at the most. When I left I had a good stream of water coming out. She just coughed then shut down. It would not fire back up. After a tow in and compression check the 2nd cyl. from the top was only at 50psi. The day before the boat was running the best it's ever run. I find it hard to believe but the old saying must be true!

So what now?
I've been told by 2 people it's not worth repairing. It took me over a year to find this motor. A quick ebay and Craigslist search showed a couple newer models close to 4,000. It's mounted on my 1977 Glastron SSV177. I love this boat and have put close to 1500 miles by gps over the past 8 years. Not sure I can justify 4k for a used motor however.

I have worked on older Merc. most of my 49 year of life. I had a 1975 115 that dropped a cylinder years ago. I ended up scrapping that one. I have been entertaining the idea of pulling the motor and working on it myself over the winter but have never done anything like this. I would have a machine shop do the head once I have it apart. Is this nuts? Anyone have any advice? I'm really sick over the lost of this motor and how this could have happened but ship happens.

My other thought is to part it out and put the money towards another motor.
Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Attachments

• merc.jpg
    merc.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 0

Charlie61

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: My 125 HP 1997 Merc lost a cylinder, now what?

Think I would see what is bad first it can be something , maybe rings . think you love the boat it's only cost you a little time before you give it up.

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: My 125 HP 1997 Merc lost a cylinder, now what?

I would have a machine shop do the head once I have it apart

Those motors don't have a head. Maybe you meant rebore the cylinder.