Sunpad tie down

r_marczak_83

Cadet
My 1983 Ebbtide has a large sunpad and is only on a rear hing. The other day while trailoring the wind lifted the pad and stripped the screws out and blew it off. I had it recovered, but how can I keep it down and look nice also so it will not blow off again?

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Sunpad tie down

Had the exact same thing happen to me last July only the sunpad remains MIA to this day. All I can say is ouch! When my upholsterer made the new one he put a couple of snaps on the plywood base and made little straps that match up to the cover snaps on the railing. Works great. You may not have snaps or even railing nearby, but I suspect there's something you could attach a couple of snaps to.

r_marczak_83

Cadet

Ok, Thanks. I'll look for some buttons and see if I can come up with something.

mklawz

Cadet

I have this issue too. In fact, I can tell the previous owner had it blow way back (or perhaps off) on him too. Anyway, what I do is use bungee cords. I go from the ski-eye-bolt to both sides of the boat that have eye-clips for the old bimini. It angles over the corners of the engine cover just enough to hold it down. Actually that was my old method. Now that I have a new bimini top, I lay it (bimini) down when I tow and I just wrap a short bungee around the poles and to the eye-clip thingies. That in effect hold the cover down. Make any sense???

Wish my boat was in the driveway, I'd snap a photo.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

22712boat.jpg I use a bungee all the way accross--mine is hinged on the sides and opens at 40mph in the center.