Volvo 3.0 what kind of winter antifreeze?

Froeman

Cadet
I have read all of the discussions in the winterization forum, and I'd like to know what type of antifreeze to use AFTER I drain my block/manifold. I have used RV antifreeze on previous watercraft but I'm wondering if there is anything with an anti-corrosive that might prevent or reduce rusting of my engine.

Thanks!

Oshkosh1

Ensign
Re: Volvo 3.0 what kind of winter antifreeze?

I'm wondering if there is anything with an anti-corrosive that might prevent or reduce rusting of my engine.
Yes...air.

Drain everything...COMPLETELY...leave the drain plugs out, pull the thermostat-pump hose off and let it sit.
If you have a compressor use it to blow out any remaining water in the block and manifold.

I can only attest that the "Dry" method works to -25...that's as low as I saw here last winter.;)

"Air don't freeze"...

Hi. Iron will rust anytime it comes into contact with air:( Flushing the system with anti-freeze AFTER draining adds a small amount of protective coating on the metal. It's not much - but every little helps. I don't think it matters which antifreeze you use - any major brand that claims to fight corrosion should do Remember also that corrosion slows down the colder it gets.
I just checked with my local marina (they Winterize hundreds of boats) and they said they always drain first, and then flush with antifreeze.

Froeman

Cadet

Sorry, one more clarification: The out drive (SX) is self-draining, or is there a drain plug in it? I assume when I pour the antifreeze in the hoses some will trickle out the lower unit? Should I turn over the motor to ensure the antifreeze is through the water pump etc?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Hi. Iron will rust anytime it comes into contact with air:( Flushing the system with anti-freeze AFTER draining adds a small amount of protective coating on the metal.

Guess my Volvo should have been done for along time ago, since it's only been drained for the winter for the last 36 years....

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Sorry, one more clarification: The out drive (SX) is self-draining, or is there a drain plug in it? I assume when I pour the antifreeze in the hoses some will trickle out the lower unit? Should I turn over the motor to ensure the antifreeze is through the water pump etc?

Lower the drive down, and any water in it will drain out and stay out. You are going to drain the drive oil too, right?

Guess my Volvo should have been done for along time ago, since it's only been drained for the winter for the last 36 years....

I didn't say it would rust out - I just said it would rust. That's a true statement. The amount of rusting depends on heat/humidity etc.

Froeman

Cadet

Ok folks, a few further points to clarify:

1) I started the motor on muffs and when the water came out of the exhaust (hub) it was slightly rust coloured for the first 30 seconds - can someone please confirm that this is normal? The boat had been sitting a week since last use.

2) I drained the water from the two petcocks (one for the block, one for the exhaust riser). Barely any water came out of the block (just a trickle - there is no way I had warmed up the motor long enough to open the thermostat). About 2 or 3 quarts of (very warm) water came out of the exhaust drain. Is this normal?

3) I loosened the clamp and pulled the large hose off of the motor (near the thermostat, I believe). I filled that hose with RV antifreeze (with corrosion inhibitor) and turned the motor over with the key (i.e. with kill switch removed so the motor would not start). I then opened the two drains again. Nothing came out of the engine, and lots of antifreeze came out of the drain for the manifold. Assume this is normal.

IMPORTANT! Do I need to do anything else with the water for winterizing? I'm going to have my engine oil and outdrive oil changed by a mechanic.

THANK YOU!!!

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Ok folks, a few further points to clarify:

1) I started the motor on muffs and when the water came out of the exhaust (hub) it was slightly rust coloured for the first 30 seconds - can someone please confirm that this is normal? The boat had been sitting a week since last use.

2) I drained the water from the two petcocks (one for the block, one for the exhaust riser). Barely any water came out of the block (just a trickle - there is no way I had warmed up the motor long enough to open the thermostat). About 2 or 3 quarts of (very warm) water came out of the exhaust drain. Is this normal?

3) I loosened the clamp and pulled the large hose off of the motor (near the thermostat, I believe). I filled that hose with RV antifreeze (with corrosion inhibitor) and turned the motor over with the key (i.e. with kill switch removed so the motor would not start). I then opened the two drains again. Nothing came out of the engine, and lots of antifreeze came out of the drain for the manifold. Assume this is normal.

IMPORTANT! Do I need to do anything else with the water for winterizing? I'm going to have my engine oil and outdrive oil changed by a mechanic.

THANK YOU!!!

There should be a decent amount of water coming out of the block when you open the petcocks. It there isn't, chances are you have some mud/sand/deposits around the petcocks prohibiting the water from flowing out. To be sure you don't encounter a cracked block next season when you uncover her, I would remove the petcocks and fish around in the drain holes with a stiff wire. You will probably find junk present, and when you bust it out of the way, I bet a nice whoosh of water will come out of the block.

Froeman

Cadet

I removed the petcock from the engine block and fished around with a coat hanger -- sure enough after a bit of poking, the water gushed out... I had read this in lots of other posts but assumed because my boat is so new that there wouldn't be so much sand in the motor... hmm..

Is there any way to "flush" the motor so this doesn't happen? I had the motor running on the hose attachment (i.e. right on the engine, not the muffs). Where else would sand accumulate???

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I removed the petcock from the engine block and fished around with a coat hanger -- sure enough after a bit of poking, the water gushed out... I had read this in lots of other posts but assumed because my boat is so new that there wouldn't be so much sand in the motor... hmm..

Is there any way to "flush" the motor so this doesn't happen? I had the motor running on the hose attachment (i.e. right on the engine, not the muffs). Where else would sand accumulate???

I would back flush it through the drain hole while the petcock is out, and try to manipulate the stuff with your coat hanger or compressed air between flushes. This would be a yearly ritual if you want to be anal about it. Shouldn't be many other places for this to happen in the block. All the other areas have moving water.