JEBar

Chief Petty Officer
what tools and spare parts do you keep in your boat

Jim

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: On-board Tools

Easy answer........ scroll down and look at the list of [h=4]Similar Threads[/h]
and you will see discussions about it.

kfa4303

Banned

I have an old boat and motor, so I don't need much, but I have a good flat and phillips screwdriver, a hammer, spark tester, a crescent wrench, pliers, a small socket set, some rags, a file, flywheel puller, a spare set of spark plugs, points & condensers, some random stainless steel hardware and lots of zip ties (very handy) and some other random stuff, but it all fits in a small plastic, tool box about the size of a shoe box and fits right under one of my bench seats. I can practically rebuild my entire motor on the water, if need be. My boat is just an old tinny, so it's pretty bulletproof, but I do keep some epoxy putty on board in case I ever need to make a patch on the fly. That's about it. I don't take the boat out without it. It came in handy last weekend when one of the trailer wheels fell off!

82rude

Rear Admiral

cell phone.i have a e-tec so not really a lot i can do if issues arise other than change a plug and even then they have to be indexed.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

here we go again. what's a boat?

on my canoe, nothing. on my old clunker, 2 of everything. Big boat: lots of electrical. small boat, basic hammer screwdriver pliers crescent wrench.

i just discovered a great new product, though: rescue tape. a stretchy silicon tape that adhers to itself, can handle pressure, heat and gasoline. Check it out.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

Easy answer........ scroll down and look at the list of [h=4]Similar Threads[/h]
and you will see discussions about it.

suggestion appreciated, I hadn't noticed that feature .... historically in my trucks, campers, cars, and such I pack more tools than most would consider necessary .... with our boat, I just don't have the space and have been thinking about just what item are really wise to have on-board

Jim

haulnazz15

Captain

Small bag of the basics: crescent wrench, pliers (needlenose and standard), two sizes of Phillips and slot screwdrivers. Also keep a few feet of 16-18ga electrical wire to make a jumper if needed, as well as a few extra fuses. Can't think of anything else.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

since we don't know what the OP is asking about, we can't answer directly. Boats are different and so are the conditions they are used in. For example, shear pins: essential for some, meaningless for others. Which is it here?

But there is a basic strategy for all boats: you want tools and materials that each can be used to fix a variety of things. For example, electrical wire (as suggested) is good for both electrical repairs and physically tying stuff together. Cable ties replace hose clamps as well as secure stuff. A small block of wood is invaluable. A real marine lubricant like CRC does about everything; way more than WD40 or 3in1. Vice grips = pliers and a clamp.

Often you are fixing stuff that isn't essential to the boat's operation, but important for the trip--like patching a broken bimini fitting or VHF antenna. That's a more likely repair than a carb rebuild at sea.

Spares depend on your conditions: are you in a remote location alone, or 30 minutes back to the dock on a busy lake? For example, where I seldom boat at night and am alone, the running light parts aren't as important b/c a flashlight will do in a pinch, but spare bulbs are essential in other places where I run at night and there are lots of other boaters.

Ignore those who say "you don't need tools if you maintain your boat." Seatow operators call those folks "customers".

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

As HC said, it depends. On my I/O I would bring drive belts and fuel filters. Maybe some hose clamps, some hose, rags and some electrical tape. Duct Tape of course, plus a full set of hand tools.

On my OBs, I usually have less spare parts, but same set of tools, plus filters and a rag or two, plus some whisky (for medicinal purposes only).

It kinds of depends on what you think you can fix.