Johnsonrude?

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Guys
This is a Evenson / Johnsonrude, I'm told it's a 84 vintage 35HP, where would I find a ser#? I see no name plates any where.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• Evenrude.jpg
    Evenrude.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Evenrude 2.jpg
    Evenrude 2.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Johnsonrude?

have a good look on the engine block for a nickel sized aluminum plug, it may have the model number an serial number stamped on it. ( it may be hidden behind things, so have a very good look)

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

1984 vintage, I haven't worked my way up to one that new!!:D
No plate on the transom clamp?

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nope no plate anywhere that I can see, The only "plug" (Freeze plug?) I could find is behind the coils (See pic) & there is nothing on it.
This has been a nightmare, my buddy paid $1500 + 2 60's 45hp mercury OB's 1 ran, and the other was for parts. This was from an outfit in Fresno Ca. ( I won't name them here but I'd give it to you if you PM me. ) We live on the coast near Monterey. About a 2.5 hour drive.
The boat was delivered to Fresno to have the Mercury removed & a used Johnson 35hp installed. To be picked up the next week. So comes time to go get the boat & buddy gets a text that the guy's niece had been in an accident & he did not have the boat done. ( Yea right.) Any way many texts & 2 weeks later my buddy meets the guy in Los Banos, which is more or less the half-way point and brings the boat home. The guy said that it was a Johnson but all he had was a Evenrude cowling & that he would ship the correct cowling to my buddy.
The install was a total hack job, The controls (They say Evenrude) were installed haphazardly, the key switch in the unit must have been bad because the harness was cut at the control & a switch spliced in ( The switch was laying in the seat!) The choke solenoid was melted, & the starter solenoid was working intermittently.
I have got her running pretty good now. No electric choke though, & the neaurtral switch went bad too, it's been bypassed for now.

There was to be a warrenty but, good luck with that!

Attachments

• freeze plug.jpg
    freeze plug.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 0

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

two things...... 1984 was the year of the battleship grey paint job and that motor is white. Second you have an airbox in front of the carburetor which were only put on the 35's prior to 1982

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Johny25, thanks for the tip!

Ok so I got the part # for the power pack assy. off of the engine, Then I found a parts diagram online, It looks like my buddy has a 82 Evenrude. I guess.

jasper60103

Commander

Johny25, thanks for the tip!

Ok so I got the part # for the power pack assy. off of the engine, Then I found a parts diagram online, It looks like my buddy has a 82 Evenrude. I guess.

Yea, the power pack part# is used across multiple years so its hard to pin point by that.
But back to what johny25 said about the air box (silencer). The factory stop putting those on in 1981.
Also, another clue is the gearcase. If the water intake screen is on the side, its probably between a 1980-81.
If the water intake screen is on the front, its a 1979 or older.

In any case, sorry about the unfortunate circumstances. I'm sure the forum can help you get her going.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, the power pack part# is used across multiple years so its hard to pin point by that.
But back to what johny25 said about the air box (silencer). The factory stop putting those on in 1981.
Also, another clue is the gearcase. If the water intake screen is on the side, its probably between a 1980-81.
If the water intake screen is on the front, its a 1979 or older.

In any case, sorry about the unfortunate circumstances. I'm sure the forum can help you get her going.

No worries about the circumstances, they have allowed me to learn more about OB's, on someone else’s dime!

The intake is on the side, So judging by what you said it's a 80-81, do these not have serial numbers?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The serial numbers would either be found on the front portion of the motor, around the transom clamp, or on that welch plug on the block. If you can't easily find any numbers on that motor, then it's likely that it was stolen, somewhere along the line. There isn't any other reason to get rid of serial numbers, than that. Yep, your welch plug is missing. Clue number one. :eek:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, if you bought it from a dealer, it's likely it happened, before they got it. I'm surprised that they didn't notice it. They must not have had to do any work on it, to notice, apparently. As long as you have proof of purchase from them, you're clear. I wouldn't worry about it. Fix 'er up and enjoy it. :)

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, if you bought it from a dealer, it's likely it happened, before they got it. I'm surprised that they didn't notice it. They must not have had to do any work on it, to notice, apparently. As long as you have proof of purchase from them, you're clear. I wouldn't worry about it. Fix 'er up and enjoy it. :)

Well, judging by what my buddy has said in reguards to the dealing he has had with this guy I would not be surprised if it is / was hot.

If any of you folks are from the Fresno area please get the name of this guy's business from me before you do any looking.
Thanks for all the help you guys much appreciated!

BTW this motor came off a Craigs list add.