anyone running 22 or 23p props on 4.3?

bobcarter

Seaman Apprentice
I just broke my skeg and propeller this past weekend and am in the market for a new propeller. Overall i am happy with my current prop set up, but can't help but feel that it could be better suited for my boat. I currently have a 96 bayliner capri 1850 with 4.3 4bbl and vortec heads. I am....i was...running a 21p 3 blade prop. I never actually used WOT for fear i would blow something up. if i am cruising at 4500...i run somewhere in the 45mp range...but have lots of throttle left and can easily rev it up to around 5500. I only do so for a split second just to hear the 4bbl kick in :).

Anyways, i do some skiing and tubing and was wondering about switching to a 23p prop and/or the possibility to switch to a 4 blade prop. I currently cruise at around 26mp and 3200rpm... but it seems to fall off plane much slower than low 20's. It feels like i have good holeshot and will jump out of the water and plane within a couple seconds.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: anyone running 22 or 23p props on 4.3?

Yes to the 22 in a ss prop..30 gals and two people...Little slow out of the hole but i use it top end only and bragging right's...A little side note 4500 cruising....your at the top of the rpm band there..think 32-3500 cruisng rpm. Post your gearing if you could that would help a lot.

Might want to check your tach at the same time..5500 at 21 so 3 up nets 4900 and a 24p prop. Now thats a big prop for a 4.3

bobcarter

Seaman Apprentice

I have the standard gearing...i think 1.84...its 1.8 something.

bobcarter

Seaman Apprentice

I had an aluminum one and probably would prefer another one...since it got trashed. Hate to think if it had been SS the cost. We were cruising at about 25mph and apparently hit a rock a good 30ft from shore in a very familiar area. I'm hoping it was just a fluke but it makes me quite nervous.

I agree on the high slip. The boat still accelerates if i gun up that high...i just dont do it. I was contemplating going to a 21 or 23 pitch 4 blade for better bite.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Solas 4 blades are very good props..Your numbers support a 23 but thats a huge prop for your combo...A 22 is even large but that would the sane pick. Is this motor beefed up??? 96 with vortec heads?