Replacing carpet after floor repair

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class
THe area surrounding my ski locker is getting soft. I had to repair section of floor in the area behind it a couple of years ago. When I did that section I was ble to pull the carpet back, make the repair and glue it back down.

I am thinking that the glue I used is not going to come up that easy and it may destroy the carpet. How hard it is to replace the carpet? THe floor is not exactly flat and it is an irregular shape but I may have the old one for a pattern.

Where is a good source to get marine carpet? Any chance of finding a match for a 1998?

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Replacing carpet after floor repair

I would get sheets of cheap cloth which won't stretch and lay out the pattern of the carpet while it sits inside the boat. Some companies will create a new interior for your boat and you just send them your "mold" or you can purchase the carpet your self from iboats or one of the other popular marine supply stores.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Your boat is rotting to death and you're not doing it any favors by doing little patch jobs here and there.

You need to consider taking a serious look at your stringers, transom, and floatation foam... these need to be checked for water intrusion and rot. Deck rot in a fiberglass boat is a huge indicator of serious problems below deck.

Your boat is an unsafe and unseaworthy vessel with rot and could endanger you and your passengers while on the water.

Take a look around in the restoration forum on this site and you'll what is wrong with your boat and how to fix it properly.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I would get sheets of cheap cloth which won't stretch and lay out the pattern of the carpet while it sits inside the boat. Some companies will create a new interior for your boat and you just send them your "mold" or you can purchase the carpet your self from iboats or one of the other popular marine supply stores the name of which you can't type into forums anymore without the name getting *****'d out.

A little off topic but if that was done on purpose I think that's pretty shameful for a forum to bleep out the name of potential competitors.

goose, you do know where that statement is going to get ya.....

9. If you have questions, concerns, suggestions or complaints about the rules, moderation, or management of this site please contact a moderator via PM or iboats management for discussion. It is forbidden to debate these rules or their enforcement in the forum.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Your boat is rotting to death and you're not doing it any favors by doing little patch jobs here and there.

You need to consider taking a serious look at your stringers, transom, and floatation foam... these need to be checked for water intrusion and rot. Deck rot in a fiberglass boat is a huge indicator of serious problems below deck.

Your boat is an unsafe and unseaworthy vessel with rot and could endanger you and your passengers while on the water.

Take a look around in the restoration forum on this site and you'll what is wrong with your boat and how to fix it properly.

Wow, all that from a short post from the OP. Sounds like the OP may die if he uses his boat... "Rotting to death, unsafe, unseaworthy", that's a little harsh....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Kaw, It is prudent to take a look at the balance of the deck to make sure you have repaired all the spots that need it. Boat carpet is simply indoor-outdoor carpet. There are all kinds of it that may be had in home centers as well as marine supply firms. use some indoor-outdoor carpet adhesive and a notch trowel to install. Cutting it to fit is not that hard. Take it slow and cut carefully.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Wow, all that from a short post from the OP. Sounds like the OP may die if he uses his boat... "Rotting to death, unsafe, unseaworthy", that's a little harsh....

Unfortunately, the rotting is a probability... and the loss of life is a possibility.

My post wasn't meant to be harsh... it was meant to be a wake-up call.

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

With hidden damage a real possibility, I would remove all the compromised materials and do a through inspection before purchasing any new stuff. I did a partial floor-only replacement on my prior boat and everything remained solid for 7 years until I sold it. Also did a complete carpet replacement on it about 3 years ago. One big issue for me was removal of all the seats, kick panels, etc., in order to get a quality installation.

It is more than worth the time and effort to do it right.

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hidden rot is a concern and I definetly plan on taking a closer look but I think it is isolated. It is along the ski locker and if I remember correctly it is only an inch or two wide and about a 1/2 think.

When I replaced the first section it was not as bad as I thought. I was told it was a fairly common issue with my boat. The fiberglass coating over the floor is thin and is prone to cracking as people climb over the back seat from skiing or tubing.

I could probably get away with not replacing the carpet but I am thinking of applying a thin layer of fiberglass to the the entire floor to prevent future damage.

I will spend some time on the restoration forum before I start.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

goose, you do know where that statement is going to get ya.....

9. If you have questions, concerns, suggestions or complaints about the rules, moderation, or management of this site please contact a moderator via PM or iboats management for discussion. It is forbidden to debate these rules or their enforcement in the forum.

Thanks and you are right. No debating on my end just a poorly placed yet well intended comment on my part.

NYBo

Admiral

Hidden rot is a concern and I definetly plan on taking a closer look but I think it is isolated. It is along the ski locker and if I remember correctly it is only an inch or two wide and about a 1/2 think.

When I replaced the first section it was not as bad as I thought. I was told it was a fairly common issue with my boat. The fiberglass coating over the floor is thin and is prone to cracking as people climb over the back seat from skiing or tubing.

I could probably get away with not replacing the carpet but I am thinking of applying a thin layer of fiberglass to the the entire floor to prevent future damage.

I will spend some time on the restoration forum before I start.
That's exactly how mine started out. I ended up replacing most of the sole, but I didn't go back to carpet. I used Skid-No-More (purchased from a certain online dealer that host s a fantastic boating forum ;)). I didn't like the first results (poor coverage), so I bought another gallon and tinted it with a quart of dark blue high-quality acrylic exterior paint and I love how it came out.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Thanks and you are right. No debating on my end just a poorly placed yet well intended comment on my part.

I hear ya. And I don't necessarily disagree with your initial comment. I've just been around the forum long enough to figure out how things work. It was more of a heads up than anything...:)

Now back to the regular scheduled programming....

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked at something like skid-no-more last year but it was more of a boating product. I will see if I can find the name to get your opinions. I was afraid of how it would look. I was thinking of coating the floor and making the carpet removable.

I could not believe what they hid when they put down the carpet on my boat. It was far from flat.