No fishin so the next best thing

sschefer

Rear Admiral
It was a non-fishing weekend so I thawed out the last three 3lb Eagle Lake Trout I had and sliced them up for the smoker. They're soaking in brine right now. I'll go get the "Little Chief" out in a while and start pumpin some smoke through it to get it ready. Don't know why I do that, probably just a waste of chips but it something I've always done so why mess with a good track record.

Also saw NGT down at the pro-shop yesterday. Seems I've created a monster fly tying dude. Way to go Steve, now you've got another guy's wife ticked off at you... LOL

I'm gonna take a ride up to the river and look for soft spots in the banks and potential holds before the rains come and the river swells. The common word around here is that you can't fish the Russian River when it's muddy. That's true if you don't do your home work.

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: No fishin so the next best thing

yeah, the wife wasn't too happy when I got to the car and said, "oh, forgot you two were out here", lol. But the worst part was that I got the wrong hackle. The pro shop has been out of a lot of the materials I need for a while now and I try and make something else work. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Got a lot of "making the wife happy time" to put in before I take off on that overnight Trinity River trip in a couple of weeks.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Eeeeeeeew dude, you're going to eat a 3 pound minnow???:facepalm:... J/K, I've never had smoked trout before... but I'm sure it's good.

I'm hoping to get out Tues. after the rains come through for some nice Alabama Crappie, if I can get out after the T-storms pass through and before the sun comes out I might be able to get a few.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Eeeeeeeew dude, you're going to eat a 3 pound minnow???:facepalm:... J/K, I've never had smoked trout before... but I'm sure it's good.

I'm hoping to get out Tues. after the rains come through for some nice Alabama Crappie, if I can get out after the T-storms pass through and before the sun comes out I might be able to get a few.

LOL,,, yep them 3lb minnows is purdy dang'd good tastin. I suppose I could run up to Clear Lake and drag a crappie rig down the dock and then smell them rotten things all the way home..:facepalm: (back at ya..LOL). I won't put my boat in Clear Lake because of the mussel problem they have. You can't put your boat in without getting a mussel sticker and that gets tied to the registration so there's no denying it. The first thing they look for when you get caught in the inspection station is if the boat has a sticker registered to it. It can ruin your fishing day in a heartbeat because you definitely aren't going to make the early bite.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

yeah, the wife wasn't too happy when I got to the car and said, "oh, forgot you two were out here", lol. But the worst part was that I got the wrong hackle. The pro shop has been out of a lot of the materials I need for a while now and I try and make something else work. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Got a lot of "making the wife happy time" to put in before I take off on that overnight Trinity River trip in a couple of weeks.

Eric, what dates are you going up there and where on the river are you fishing? PM me if you want to keep it a secret. Do your homework before you go. Read the DFG regulations and the 12-13 in-season update http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/ . Don't rely on what others tell you, DFG is tough on that water. Don't forget that your buddy went with a guide last time who may have had a permit to be on the land they crossed to fish the river. If you get caught on that land without a permit you'll be trespassing and people up there don't take kindly to that.

Don't let that scare you off, just do your homework first and you will have a great time. You can take my 9' Lamiglass River rod with the Bantam 50 on it but you probably wouldn't like using a baitcaster on the Trinity without a little more practice. It's yours to borrow if you want to give it go.

Flash, I need to set the reel up.. I'll go down to OPS and get some of the yellow stuff and spool it up for you just in case you decide you want to try it.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Truck Yeah... errr Fish Yeah.... sorry I was a little high on fresh smoked trout..

IMG_0097.jpg

These fish were so fat, it is just oozing out of them. SOooooo frigging good.. This is one of my better batches, it came out just like the smoked Salmon you pay 100.00 for at the yuppie deli down the street. No, actually, mines better than theirs.... Aint no panty waste yuppie gettin any of this.

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Truck Yeah... errr Fish Yeah.... sorry I was a little high on fresh smoked trout..

View attachment 168455

These fish were so fat, it is just oozing out of them. SOooooo frigging good.. This is one of my better batches, it came out just like the smoked Salmon you pay 100.00 for at the yuppie deli down the street. No, actually, mines better than theirs.... Aint no panty waste yuppie gettin any of this.

any left over's...............sure looks good from here...........

trying to get Walleye's with no luck..

waiting for water to change temp..........

that will do it..
FM

sschefer

Rear Admiral

any left over's...............sure looks good from here...........

trying to get Walleye's with no luck..

waiting for water to change temp..........

that will do it..
FM

I want to go Walleye fishing bad, I'm gonna have to figure a way to get to that side of the country. We've got pike but no Walleye. This time of year I start getting Chrome fever. I've got it bad right now. I've already been on the half pounders warmin up and getting back in the groove for the soft bite of the winter runs.

ngt

Eric, what dates are you going up there and where on the river are you fishing? PM me if you want to keep it a secret. Do your homework before you go. Read the DFG regulations and the 12-13 in-season update http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/ . Don't rely on what others tell you, DFG is tough on that water. Don't forget that your buddy went with a guide last time who may have had a permit to be on the land they crossed to fish the river. If you get caught on that land without a permit you'll be trespassing and people up there don't take kindly to that.

Don't let that scare you off, just do your homework first and you will have a great time. You can take my 9' Lamiglass River rod with the Bantam 50 on it but you probably wouldn't like using a baitcaster on the Trinity without a little more practice. It's yours to borrow if you want to give it go.

Flash, I need to set the reel up.. I'll go down to OPS and get some of the yellow stuff and spool it up for you just in case you decide you want to try it.

Don't worry about the rod, but I do appreciate the offer. We'll be Fly fishing only up there. I will be using the 9wt that you gave me though. If not that, my buddy has an arsenal of sage fly rods that I can use. Thanks for the heads up on the land stuff. I'll definitely bring that up with my buddy before he goes up there with the guides so he can get all of the information and details the week prior. We're going up on that Friday after work and coming back Saturday evening. (last weekend of the month) We'll head up after work, get some dinner, get all of our gear ready, make some last minute flies, and get an early morning start. Fish all morning and afternoon and get back in the evening. I was worried about my wife being home with the kid for two whole days, but her family will be here that weekend, so it works out for everyone. She gets some company and I get.....the hell out of there, lol.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

O.K. Good, sounds like a fun trip. Let me know what guide your buddy is using I may use him if you like the outcome. Yes, guides hire guides, we're like sponges when it comes to learning about fishing and there's always something new to learn.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

View attachment 168455

These fish were so fat, it is just oozing out of them. SOooooo frigging good.. This is one of my better batches, it came out just like the smoked Salmon you pay 100.00 for at the yuppie deli down the street. No, actually, mines better than theirs.... Aint no panty-waist yuppie gettin any of this.

I agree- smoking lake trout /can/ be good eats. That and on the grill- an old one with the lava rocks if it's gas not charcoal.

But lakers better than salmon? No way! Char are only any good smoked or done on a grill to me.

I'll take a Champlain landlock any day over any six lakers :)

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I agree- smoking lake trout /can/ be good eats. That and on the grill- an old one with the lava rocks if it's gas not charcoal.

But lakers better than salmon? No way! Char are only any good smoked or done on a grill to me.

I'll take a Champlain landlock any day over any six lakers :)

Well, I'll have to admit, that's a first for me having my taste buds argued but hey, this is iBoats where anything is arguable. :D

Seriously though, it is tough to beat fresh smoked Salmon. This time of year we're pretty flush with it around my neck of the woods so it's a refreshing treat to have the smoked Lahontan Cuthroat hybrid as a change up.

Mark, I'm just funnin you please don't take offense.

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I want to go Walleye fishing bad, I'm gonna have to figure a way to get to that side of the country. We've got pike but no Walleye. This time of year I start getting Chrome fever. I've got it bad right now. I've already been on the half pounders warmin up and getting back in the groove for the soft bite of the winter runs.

yes Sir.....soft bite of the winter runs...sounds good
as for those Walleye ...I get most of mine through the ice...however we do catch them up here in up state Ny on the Hudson river if we are lucky...
as for the fever I got it too.. and it is regarding last sat's opening season for black bear...better yet... early bow is last three days of Sept.....
"KAWACK" is the last thing that buck out back is gonna hear...hehe
and BTY..that was funny .....having your taste buds argued...heeh...
Salmon and Walleye....both fantastic
FM

Jlawsen

as for the fever I got it too.. and it is regarding last sat's opening season for black bear...better yet... early bow is last three days of Sept.....

LOL, Reminds of the time several years ago up in Washington State when I almost got caught burrying rotten apples..

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

LOL, Reminds of the time several years ago up in Washington State when I almost got caught burrying rotten apples..

uh oh.......dats a no no...just like my corn trick....hehe.....so
very quietly I just sit near my "neighbors" beautiful apple trees.....
as for those bears we have to " sit' um out " near their dens....wait till they get thirsty.....in 15 yrs I have only seen one and did get to fire on it....(while sitting on watch ) ...it was coming off the mnt like a freight train (boys were doing a drive).....right at me.....I heard a snap at 2 oclock and saw a blur at about 3 oclock...after I stood up and turned around I was able to let 2 rounds go.....didn't cut hair....thing was running very fast ..was an easy 75 to 100 yds away in a split second.....I always said I would not shoot a bear unless it was HUGE....
I'm glad I didn't wound it however I wish I would have dropped it......very good blood pumping experience...