1996 Spartan trailer

paterry2006

Cadet
I have a 1996 Spartan 1200Lb trailer for my 17 ft crestliner fishhawk.
I bought this used from the original owner, he bought the entire package from a dealer.
Here is my question. When the boat is on the trailer, there is only 2" of clearance between the tires
and the boat hull(assuming I get it exactly centered). If i dont get it exactly centered the tire will rub
on the hull of the boat. This has caused me to have to reposition the boat several times to get it centered.
Does anyone have any solution for this barring widening the trailer axle?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1996 Spartan trailer

I have a 1996 Spartan 1200Lb trailer for my 17 ft crestliner fishhawk.
I bought this used from the original owner, he bought the entire package from a dealer.
Here is my question. When the boat is on the trailer, there is only 2" of clearance between the tires
and the boat hull(assuming I get it exactly centered). If i dont get it exactly centered the tire will rub
on the hull of the boat. This has caused me to have to reposition the boat several times to get it centered.
Does anyone have any solution for this barring widening the trailer axle?

Ayuh,.... Raise the bunks, or rollers for more clearance....

paterry2006

Cadet

Bond-o,
I had looked at that solution,but I would need to raise the boat a minimum of 6" to gain any extra clearance.
Also, there is no keel roller at the front of the trailer, just a bow stop. This seemed peculiar to me.
Raising the bunks would result in the bow being lower than the stern. I suppose I could have some frame work
done(welding) to add a keel roller to the front of the trailer.But trying to do this on a limited budget.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

can you install fender liners that would not allow the tires to rub. Depending on your fender setup you could weld something in there, then carpet it for scuff protection. Pictures would sure help though.

oregoncruiser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

another thought would be to look at the wheels. Can you replace the wheels with more offset?? Narrower tire?? Combination?? just thinking out loud.

Bondo

Staff member

Bond-o,
I had looked at that solution,but I would need to raise the boat a minimum of 6" to gain any extra clearance.
Also, there is no keel roller at the front of the trailer, just a bow stop. This seemed peculiar to me.
Raising the bunks would result in the bow being lower than the stern. I suppose I could have some frame work
done(welding) to add a keel roller to the front of the trailer.But trying to do this on a limited budget.

Ayuh,.... Post yer pictures,... Have ya looked into side-guides,... I like the Tall 1s,...

The ramps I use are really, Really steep...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Ayuh,.... Post yer pictures,... Have ya looked into side-guides,... I like the Tall 1s,...

The ramps I use are really, Really steep...

I agree that guide-ons would be the answer. How did the original owner have this so long w/o this problem?