water spray between lower unit and midsectiom

saddlebandit

Seaman Apprentice
Does it hurt to have a little spray coming out between lower unit and midsection as long as water is not getting into oil and gearcase?

yorab

Ensign
Re: water spray between lower unit and midsectiom

That could depend on your motor. Please always tell the forum what motor you're dealing with.

If it is a 1963 75hp, then some leakage at that joint is not harmful. However, I'm trying to visualize this happening and I can only see that that joint is somehow out of the water in order for you to see the spray. You should be sure that the water level is at least as high as the water pump before operating the motor.

saddlebandit

Seaman Apprentice

It's a 1990 johnson 140. I don't want to drop lower unit yet and would like to take her for a spin. It's on muffs at the moment and I'm not going going to be able to tighten the four lower unit bolts anymore without stripping so I was wondering if a little spray would hurt. I'm assuming not. Am I right?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take it for a ride and just make sure it doesn't over heat. Which I don't think it will do.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

My '98 Johnny V6 has cast-in slots between the gearcase and the midsection to let water out.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I don't believe his mtr has the split line gear case. Actually the slots were put there for another reason.