"New" boat, couple of questions

dl_sledding

Cadet
Hi all,

Just picked up a "new" boat: a 1974 Weeres Ambassador 24', with a Chrysler 707HA. It hasn't been licensed since 2007, and the PO said it hasn't been run in years. Some pics:

2012-09-15_15-06-33_989.jpg

2012-09-15_15-05-52_772.jpg

2012-09-15_15-06-00_807.jpg

2012-09-15_15-05-15_172.jpg

2012-09-15_15-05-23_257.jpg

<continued>

dl_sledding

Cadet
Re: "New" boat, couple of questions

2012-09-15_15-05-48_222.jpg

2012-09-15_15-05-34_735.jpg

As you can see, it is in need of some TLC. :)

Couple of dents:

2012-09-15_15-09-25_51.jpg

2012-09-15_15-07-18_701.jpg

Here's some pics of the motor. It was stored in the tilted position the entire time:

2012-09-15_15-08-37_271.jpg

<continued>

dl_sledding

Cadet

2012-09-15_15-08-01_986.jpg

2012-09-15_15-07-50_280.jpg

Over 100 pounds in each cylinder according to the compression test... All 3 cylinders match in compression. Carbs are *clean*! Pulled the bowls, and just a little residue of oil in each. The bottom one had more than the rest and it was still liquidy enough to run around in the bowl! They all came clean with a single shot of carb cleaner. So, I think the carbs should be good.

Now, there's a problem (okay, there's a few problems!) See this gunk:

2012-09-15_15-08-51_967.jpg

It's the remains of the "filling" from the back side of this:

2012-09-15_15-09-11_488.jpg

Bad pic, but this is the back side... I'll pull it off tomorrow and get a better pic:

2012-09-15_15-09-02_967.jpg

Haven't yet checked for spark, will also do that tomorrow. Do you guys think the Magnapower ignition mod will still work even with all the gel leaked out of it? Is this motor supposed to use surface gap plugs? It has normal plugs in it right now...

<continued>

dl_sledding

Cadet

It came with a Weeres trailer. The trailer raises and lowers by "scissoring" the axle up and down via a cable and winch on the hitch. The trailer has a tag on it:

2012-09-15_15-09-49_715.jpg

Tires are like new (one even still shows the blue protectant on the whitewall.

All this for the low, low price of $175.00. She just wanted it out of the yard.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

You gotta test it first....

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1120185765

http://www.maxrules.com/fixforcelectric.html

http://www.outboardignition.com/page37.asp

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thechryslercrew/

Then, do a search on this wonderful site for similar problems.....

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=276694

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=427718

The boat:

What is your intended use? Fishing or family?

If fishing, you can clean up what you got and be done with it for little investment.

If family, perhaps you could afford to buy new or used pontoon furniture since you've spent so little.

Option 2......sell it for more that what you paid to someone who likes project boats. Happy boating!

dl_sledding

Cadet

Thanks for the links, BatDaddy, I enjoyed reading and learning from them.

OK, so some more info:

Spark is *great*, enough to knock you over. Gotta do a little tuning on the points, and the cap and rotor look new, but other than that the ignition should be perfect. So, the "goo" out of the back of the Magnapower module must be just insulation; if no one knows any better, I think I'll pack it full of silicone sealant or caulking, and call it good. If it dies, I'll replace it with a standard coil and condenser.

I mentioned the carbs were clean. I didn't mention that even the glass sight bowl on the fuel line below the ignition module was clean and dry, with really no residue and absolutely no varnishing in it. I am guessing it was fogged and run dry at shutdown last time.

Started cleaning up the vinyl seats and such. All "homemade", I believe the seats being used at the console are from a tour bus of some vintage, with custom vinyl installed on them. I can tell the console itself is probably homemade, not really "factory" quality build. I'm probably going to redesign and rebuild it a bit, just because it's a little awkward to use. Gotta do a rewire job on the accessory power system, as it's all really poorly wired. And that bugs me.

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

......sounds like you are ready to take on the job! I have used 303 cleaner & spot remover for stains and mildew on seats with good results, you can get it at Wally World (Walmart). Pick up a can or two of Seafoam from there as well.....put a half-a-can in every other tankful of gas and it will clean the innards of your engine.

It's always good to re-wire an older wire system. Make sure that you have your running lights in order in case you boat past sunset. I hope you get it all fixed up and have some fun boating next season!

dl_sledding

Cadet

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to update.

Took a little time a couple of weeks ago to check out the motor: had to clean out the tanks (obviously), change the fuel line, and change the sight bowl gasket (the local Tractor Supply Co. had the exact gasket on a Sunday!!!). It fired up right away and just PURRS! Changed the lower unit oil and added a telltale at that point.

So, last night, the lake was like glass, and I put it in. It floats without sinking! WOOHOO! Fired up the Chrysler, and the telltale showed that the pump was working, so after checking that both forward and reverse gear worked, took it out for a VERY short test run, then returned back to the dock and loaded up the family for a 45 minute maiden voyage.

Needless to say, it's time to start cleaning and restoring.

There's one thing that concerns (or at least, bugs) me. The toons stick out behind the decking 18" - 20" or so. There's a fuel tank on each toon. When we reach a little speed, the water from the transom starts flowing up and over the rear of the toons, and begins to flow past the fuel tanks. I am considering installing an aluminum "shield" on each side, between the top of the transom and the top of each toon, to provide a path for this water to flow *behind* the toon rather than *over* it, also adding a standing platform and preventing the water from flooding the tanks. Does that sound like a workable idea? I'll try to get a pic of the area before and during a run.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone! It is very appreciated!

old jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would be looking real close at the dent on what appears to be the foward part
of the starboard toon. The Mr Clean eracers work well on the vinyl seats and as
was stated above 303 protectant follow up. old jim

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

I think it is a great idea to bolt an aluminum shield over that area. Sounds like only a few minutes work once you have the materials. Just be careful not to screw into or rivet into the tubes! There are many pontooners here who use underskinning with great results. Underskinning is bolting large sheets of aluminum under the deck to keep the water spray from hitting the wood, they say it increases speed and keeps water from erupting through the floor.

dl_sledding

Cadet

Thanks for the advice, guys!

The toons are not taking on any water, so the big dent on the seam that you noticed, old jim, seems to be waterproof for now. For how long, I don't know...

Underskinning, huh? Good name. Like the idea, more for water repelling than speed... I don't really care to go fast, but in rough water it'd probably help a lot.