Mercury XR4 V6 2 stroke Can you lose both switch boxes at the same time ?

frankg314

Recruit
I have a 1989 Mercury 150HP XR4 2 stroke outboard, what happened today I went to start the motor with the cups installed, it fired once but did not start, tried again and did not even start at all. Checked the spark and none there. Checked the continuity on the stator & the triggerr and all was normal. Then checked the voltage out put fromthe stator and it is there.
What else can I check at this point ? I figure that if the inputs to the switch boxes are all there, you should get the output to the ign coils, well there is nothing going out to the coils. Could i have lost both switchboxes at the same time ? Or is something else holding them out ? A safety ? Please let me know what you may think the problem is.. Thanks..

M

Maxz695

Re: Mercury XR4 V6 2 stroke Can you lose both switch boxes at the same time ?

May be nothing but try disconecting the Merc tilt kill switch and try again

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Can you lose both switch boxes at the same time ?
Highly doubtful... check your kill tether to see if pulled, disconnect the blk/yellow wires from switchboxes and retest.

frankg314

Recruit

I have a 1989 Mercury 150HP XR4 2 stroke outboard, what happened today I went to start the motor with the cups installed, it fired once but did not start, tried again and did not even start at all. Checked the spark and none there. Checked the continuity on the stator & the triggerr and all was normal. Then checked the voltage out put fromthe stator and it is there.
What else can I check at this point ? I figure that if the inputs to the switch boxes are all there, you should get the output to the ign coils, well there is nothing going out to the coils. Could i have lost both switchboxes at the same time ? Or is something else holding them out ? A safety ? Please let me know what you may think the problem is.. Thanks..

RESOLVED .... Well found out what the real problem is, not the switch boxes or the tilt switch or the kill wires, turns out to be the Stator, had to go to www.justanswer.com/boats, got the real way to test the stator and the voltages are way to low & the resistance on the high speed coils are lo low.... ALL TESTS DONE WHILE CRANKING THE MOTOR WITH SPARK PLUGS REMOVED>>
----- Way to test the Stator coils is to remove the wires from the switch box. High speed - Red to ground Red/wht to ground should be 25 to 100 volts ac peak & 20-200 ohms (I read 18.8 volts 70 ohms & 19.1 v peak & 70 ohms) and Low speed blue to ground blue/wht to ground should read 140 to 400 volts ac peak & 5K to 7K ohms (I read 128.2 v & 10.4 v peak .643M ohms & 1.3 ohms) These readings showed that the stator is failed. Hope this info helps others....

frankg314

Recruit

RESOLVED .... Well found out what the real problem is, not the switch boxes or the tilt switch or the kill wires, turns out to be the Stator, had to go to www.justanswer.com/boats, got the real way to test the stator and the voltages are way to low & the resistance on the high speed coils are lo low.... ALL TESTS DONE WHILE CRANKING THE MOTOR SPARK PLUGS REMOVED----- Way to test the Stator coils is to remove the wires from the switch box. High speed - Red to ground Red/wht to ground should be 25 to 100 volts ac peak & 20-200 ohms (I read 18.8 volts 70 ohms & 19.1 v peak & 70 ohms) and Low speed blue to ground blue/wht to ground should read 140 to 400 volts ac peak & 5K to 7K ohms (I read 128.2 v & 10.4 v peak .643M ohms & 1.3 ohms) These readings showed that the stator is failed. Hope this info helps others....