new boat

fiber16

Cadet
HI,
everybody on iboat fourm! i recently acquired a boat in enchange for doing their engine in one of their vehicles. they told me that they had a 16 footer fiberform boat.. i didnt look at that boat til they dropped it off at my cabin and signed paperwork etc .. went out to take a look at the boat.. its a 130c/270 .... i discovered to my little nightmare im like uh oh .. cant decide if its either good or the bad... according to the previous owner who left me a note saying the motor has been "rebuilt" ( of course to my skeptistim) wheres the proof ??? so anyway.. he was checking everything out like bearings, and "putting it back together" everything seemed in place all but few is not done .. and all is there but one is missing....
heres a kicker!! missing a rod bearing cap on the rear bank of the motor .. it has left me a plagued question.... "since the mortor is all really clean.. freeze plugs looks brand new, valve internals looks brand new as if it never been broken in ".. so do i take a gamble of finding a rod bearing cap new bearing all standard size? of course i gotta mic the journals before i order bearing and slap it in there pray and all is good ??
or inventable thing to do is .... pull motor out... yank crank out, yank head out, pull all pistons out along with the rods .. take it to machine shop, have em all redone, slap em back all together and all is good

of course pulling motor out is more work but will have to do that route if i have to .. that is the biggest question.. theres a saying in my head..
"dont fix it if it aint broke" its nagging me two ways of going this route.. so which way do i go ?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: new boat

You need a complete connecting rod, you never want to replace just the cap, the cap is machined with the rod.

fiber16

Cadet

thought so .. that means i gotta yank the crank and heads then pull all pistons along with rods out and replace one connecting rod then slap everything back together... i was hoping to do less work but aparrently not .. ill have to pull motor out ..

Don S

You have to remove the head, but no reason to remove the crank. Just rotate the crankshaft out of the way and push the rod and piston up from the bottom. Leave the rest of the pistons in place.

You will however, need a new pan gasket.

fiber16

Cadet

just oil pan gasket ? i thought you will have to replace head gasket too as well ?

Don S

I was referring to the bottom and replacing the rod. Not the rest of the engine. Of course you have to replace any gasket to take off.

fiber16

Cadet

okay thank you for your quick reponse... should be easy enough.. is there any manual that i can check into .. for torquing sequence and specs .. that can be handy when reassembling .. i think i should be able to pull the head out leaving the manifold and intake on .. and then go ahead disassemble it and put it back together through winter .. any other tips in regard of checking things over.. i know 130c/270 is kinda rare and if i dont run into more problem while taking engine apart.. its only a free boat ;) could always part it out and sell for parts if engine is shot