Testing Switchbox

Schnidly

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dear Favorite Forum,

I have a question which I am sure someone will say it has been answered before, but here it goes, and I bet someone will direct me to CDI's troubleshooting website which I have been to many times, IM JUST SLOW I GUESS, in learning and sensibility that is! Anyways here it goes, I just replaced the stator in my 90hp 1988 Mercury 3 cylinder, I dont want a bad switchbox to destroy what I spent a lot of money on, hey............times are hard, REALLY!!! Can someone tell me how to check my switchbox, the motor now has spark on all 3 cylinders, I just bought a DVA, on sale for a great price, and am not sure what to check on the switchbox, I have a red and blue wire from the stator going to the bottom of my switchbox, the two yellow wires to the rectifier for my charging circuit I understand, the two new wires, red/white, blue/white I have connected to ground on the engine so I am sure I have it all hooked up right. I just need to know how and where to check DVA voltages. In your humble opinions will my switchbox destroy my new stator right away, immediatedly while testing the switchbox or stator outputs? HELP PLEASE

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Testing Switchbox

The switchbox on your engine rarely and I mean rarely will damage a stator, most of the time its the rectifier that does the damage due to it being bad and overheats stator.