Paint Resto Possible?

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all.

Just bought a new to me boat that has a metal flake through the paint. Paint hasnt been looked after in the past and wonder if there's anything i can do to bring back some of the lustre bar a full respray? Boat is fibreglass.

IMG_1481.jpg

P1060799.jpg

Any help appreciated!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Paint Resto Possible?

Ayuh,.... It's probably gelcoat, 'n not paint,... Sandin', fairin', 'n repaintin' is 'bout yer Only option....

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

What does it look like when you put water over it ?

Does it look all like you want it ?

If so then you might get away with some clear coat over it after its properly prepped out.

YD.

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.... It's probably gelcoat, 'n not paint,... Sandin', fairin', 'n repaintin' is 'bout yer Only option....

Damn, hoped i'd have some leeway without having to respray. When i run my fingernails over the paint i can feel the fleck under them. A clear over the top of that would give it back a bit of the shine, but it's not going to help the whiter areas. Is there a specific brand of polish i would be able to use to repair the damage? And can you use an automotive clear over the gelcoat? Boat is only ever going to see freshwater.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

MAN, that's a COOL little boat!!

It's pretty hard to do anything with flake once the flakes start being exposed, other
than shooting clear over the top. If you try and sand you'll start hitting the flakes.
You could try using a cleaner/polish solution over the white areas- just do a small
(inch square or so) area and see how it looks. Then try a little clear over the same
area to see how it works out.

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

MAN, that's a COOL little boat!!

It's pretty hard to do anything with flake once the flakes start being exposed, other
than shooting clear over the top. If you try and sand you'll start hitting the flakes.
You could try using a cleaner/polish solution over the white areas- just do a small
(inch square or so) area and see how it looks. Then try a little clear over the same
area to see how it works out.

Cheers man! I was tempted to grab some mild cutting compound but i think if i do, with the height of the fleck i might do more harm than good as a whole?

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Threw caution to the wind, got some cutting compound. Didnt work.

So now im going to repaint the boat. Got some Poly*Flake that flips up Purple in the sunlight. Plan is to rub back the exhisting paintwork, and lay on a few layers of hi-fill. And then spray the black base, and flake in the clear.

Few questions:

What grade of sandpaper would you recommend

and

Will i need to put any sort of primer onto the surface to help the adhesion of the hifill?

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Threw caution to the wind, got some cutting compound. Didnt work.

So now im going to repaint the boat. Got some Poly*Flake that flips up Purple in the sunlight. Plan is to rub back the exhisting paintwork, and lay on a few layers of hi-fill. And then spray the black base, and flake in the clear.

Few questions:

What grade of sandpaper would you recommend

and

Will i need to put any sort of primer onto the surface to help the adhesion of the hifill?

Thanks in advance :)