Steering Adjustmants

emoney

Commander
Re: Steering Adjustmants

First you need to find out where it's stiff. Start by removing the steering arm from the cable at the motor. Once it's loose, twist the outboard and see if that frees it up or not. If it does, then odds are the problem lies in the tilt-tube where the cable goes through the bracket at the motor. If that's it, you need to try and get the cable out and then take a shotgun cleaning brush or something similar to clean out the old grease in there and reapply. If, however, once you unhook that the motor is still stiff to turn, there are grease zerks, should be two, that you'll want to apply grease to until the old grease is all out of the king pin and replaced with new.

Welcome to iboats, and for more and better help, post pics of any further areas of concern. Good luck.

Bondo

Staff member

How do I adjust a stiff steering cable on a 1992 Johnson 150 HP Fast Strike

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Yer issue is probably more than just an Adjustment,....

emoney walks ya through the "Adjustment" process....

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Additional comment: If the inner cable is kinked it will be hard to steer also. Kinks usually occur right at the interface of the cable to the tilt tube or at the steering wheel interface. Last, there could be some corrosion down in the cable between these two points.

I just changed out mine a couple of years ago for the same reason. It was kinked at the engine because the guy who installed it kinked it during installation due to the fact that the hole in the boat that the cable was routed through wasn't lined up properly for the position of the engine.....so he made it fit....and screwed it up in the process. Guy I bought the rig from drove it 2 years like that.....took 2 hands to turn the wheel.

Mark