mercruiser lower unit leaks oil

william haynes

Seaman Apprentice
:(Hope someone can help me with this. I have a 1975 Searay with twin 3.0 liter engines. I am trying to get this boat running again after it has set for quite a few years. I drained oil out of lower unit and installed just the water pump impeller. Filled it with oil until it came out of the vent. I installed new fill and vent gaskets and the o ring where the upper and lower mating surfaces meet. Started the engine and put it in gear and it runs fine. The problem is I trimmed the outdrive down and the next morning there was a little oil running down the skeg from the small hole is on the front of the outdrive. I think this is the pedo tube for the speedometer. Wiped the oil off and put a pan under the outdrive and the next morning there was no oil in the pan but a small amount on the skeg and seems to be coming from the small hole. I have mercruiser outdrives. Is there a seal kit under the water pump impeller that I should have replaced? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Bill

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: mercruiser lower unit leaks oil

You need to pull the drive, drain the oil and pressure test it to find which seal is leaking.

There are 2 seals in the water pump base, but if you didn't disturb them they shouldn't be leaking, however, we can all have a guess at which seal it is, but until you pressure test, that's all they would be, guesses...

Chris.......