replaced mercarb with rochestor, not the same carb?

dbobz71

Cadet
Hey guys, i just bought a 2bbl rochester to replace my mercarb on my 1997 4.3l maxum 1950sr. the choke plate (pretty sure that is what it is called) on the carburetor doesn't seem to be controlled by anything, and also on the back of the carb by the choke plate there is a tube going in that was plugged off on my old carb. i hooked it up and started it aside from these differences and the boat accelerated to full throttle. Can anybody lend some suggestions on what might fix this problem since there seems to be a big thing for this swap. Thanks! also i can put pictures up if you guys need pictures to see what i am talking about.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: replaced mercarb with rochestor, not the same carb?

Post a picture of your Rochester. They are not the same type carb as a Mercarb. Merc stopped using Rochester 2bbl carbs back in the 80's.

rick3452

Petty Officer 1st Class

Last year I bought a Rochester 2 bl carb to replace my Mercarb, Ran so rich and I could not get it to run right so I put the Mercarb back on
and sti;; runs perfect....

thumpar

Admiral

Marine distributors don't use vents. That is a fire hazard. Looks like the wrong cap is put on or maybe the whole distributor.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Marine distributors don't use vents. That is a fire hazard. Looks like the wrong cap is put on or maybe the whole distributor.

Nope, that is the cap vent. Most of the caps have them and they sometimes have a screen, sometimes don't. Putting a little angled fitting on the vent does provide ignition protection.