Stainless steel ring for the seal at the end of the crankshaft?

M

Maxz695

Does anyone know what the pressed on Stainless steel seal ring at the end of a Mercury crankshaft is called? Can I buy one somewhere. I have stress cracks in the stainless ring on both sides but not where the seal rides on it yet. I don,t see it anywhere on any diagram. I have a 1979 70 HP 3 cylinder 2 stroke. Is this a part Mercury puts on there as if it where a part of the crankshaft as a whole and not repairable? Thank you in advance

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Stainless steel ring for the seal at the end of the crankshaft?

Pics please?

(among other things, I'll be examining this very same thing on my 1978 70 hp this weekend if I can get the freaking powerhead off!)

M

Maxz695

I have to take a pic for you it,s raining out right now I have the crank in the shed in a styrofoam cooler. I,ll post a bit later

M

Maxz695

Thank you Commander

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That crank has had a speedi sleeve installed and the carrier was left off, thats why it cracked as corrosion weeped under it . The carrier keeps water out of driveshaft splines as it (water) climbs the shaft when running.......

M

Maxz695

Water got into the engine through the exhaust port baffle gasket. I bought this engine a few months ago from some kid on Craigslist. I didn,t have a compression tester at the time. I put the powerhead 70 HP on my 40 HP midsection.I got her runing and took her out. After the run I pulled the head and put new upper mounts and stainless steel threaded rod for the longer studs as they where too short. Whe I fired it up it ran then died. The wiring harness had found its way to the flywheel and skinned the wiring shorting out my switchbox or stator. I purchased another switchbox that arrived today. While I was waiting I figured scince I had the gaskets for the exhaust port it would be a good time to do them. when removing the baffel I noticed the lower piston (after testing with a comp gauge 140 top 140 center and 120 lower) that the piston had water corrosion and I put my finger in the port to see what was the dea.l Well it moved back and forth like it was doing the twist. I dismanteled and found holly terror inside! Thank god I was on land. Well the crank isn,t too terrible and the cylinder walls are astoundingly fair. The rod bearings and the wrist pin bearings where less than half of what they should be. So I started with 400 Grit wet sand paper and lightly smoothed the bad journal with mostly positive results. ( Checking on another crank at present) I need a piston. I bought new lower retainer and main bearing. The upper needs to be done too. I did purchase the carrier in case the crank is not a match. I appreciate all those here who help us guys and try to do the same in return. I,m not hurrying getting this back together as my season ends this NOV. I assure you it will sail again though with time pateince and a whole lot of luckPic of the affected journal above

M

Maxz695

View attachment 168275View attachment 168205Fastbullet this must have been of Mercurys recalls that never happened Being 1979 was the year they went from 402 to 40 HP and 700 to 70 HP and both of my 1979 engines, the 40 and the 70 HP both had this sleeve. When I look at the diagram now they have the carrier you are stating(photo added. Anyone owning a 1979 should be aware of this sleeve and if you love your engine have it corrected ASAP carrier seal 64254001

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

That is the carrier that drives into bottom of crankshaft and seals do not ride on it, what you need is the original wear sleeve #78661 or # 86348A1. The picture you posted of your crank sleeve appears aftermarket as the edge is to far into spline area and that may be why the carrier was left off.

M

Maxz695

I appreciate the part description and the numbers thanks

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Max, Here is what that carrier looks like on a 73 850 (85hp) merc.
IMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

M

Maxz695

View attachment 168274I see your seal area is the crank itself or is that the sleeve there and I see the carrier on yours Mine just has a wear sleeve. The parts diagram shows the carrier but not the sleeve. I purchased the carrier in case after I remove the sleeve it will fit in the crankshaft. I,m also going to purchase the sleeve as well. I just stripped the bearings off of the crank and had to drill and tap two boken bolts in the intake for the end cap. Sleeve discription i,m buying Mercury Quicksilver Sleeve Assembly Part # 86348A1 I still after putting this sleeve on do not think there is gonna be room for a carrier to be inserted

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

This might help:

Before:
037.JPG

After:
039.JPG

Carrier with seal pounds on after merc. repair sleeve, make sure bearing is installed first before sleeve

M

Maxz695

Ok thanks I feel alot better now bearing then the carrier then the sleeve Great

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well almost :D bearing/ sleeve then carrier, after looking at your crank it looks tapered so yours might not be a factor, once the speedi sleeve from merc is put on its on, no turning back :)

M

Maxz695

according to picture one (Before) the carrier is instaled Then in picture 2 After the sleeve is over it correct? Or i,m not see it right and the sleeve goes on then the carrier goes in the spline area afterwards Picture above earlier

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

no i pulled the old one out and its hanging loose on stud below, i put it in picture for reference

M

Maxz695

Gotchya you have been temendous help thank you. My keyboard is really going wacky on this sight for some odd reason

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

You are putting these parts on a different crank I assume as the journal of the crank you posted is trash........