Converting 1999 Force/Mercury 40hp to 50hp

GoFastr

Seaman
I've done a little digging via google and seen a few posts on various sites, this one included, about folks wanting to convert their 40hp Force motor to 50hp by simply changing out the carb for one with a larger set of jets setup for the 50 version. Unfortunately they were old posts and had no follow up as to whether or not they succeeded. Does anyone here have experience or know of someone who did this successfully by changing only the carb?

It's my understanding the power head is the same for both the 40 and 50hp models of 1999. There's even a sticker on the powerhead of mine that indicates Force 40 - 50hp.

If this is the case, it would be silly not to purchase another carb spec'd for a 50 and slap it on there and get a cheap 10 extra ponies.

I have a '99 Force/Mercury 40hp.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Converting 1999 Force/Mercury 40hp to 50hp

If it were me I would just look on Ebay for a Force 50 carb, you would have to give it a good once over and clean it really well but it would be jetted correctly and should do what you want.

That would be the cheapest easiest solution I can think of and it is a no brainer, 10 hp for probly $50, I would take that deal any day.