What kind of tool box does everyone have?

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone,
Just thought I would start a thread and ask what kind of box everyones got! I currently have a 42'' international (yea i know its by far no snap-on lol but does the same thing for a lot less $$).

0718121305-00.jpg

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What kind of tool box does everyone have?

Id be happy with what you have, thats a good looking box. I have a assortment of Craftsman uppers, Kennedy lowers, 5gal buckets, the floor, workbench and whatever other flat surface thats close to hand. I keep saying I`m gonna clean the garage, but then I wouldnt be able to find anything. :facepalm:

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

me too, wished I had something that nice but I have to settle for the cheapo whatever I stole from work thing I have until I can move on to something better!!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I have a Snap On, that has a trailer hitch on it and pneumatic tires, that I can tow behind my ATV It is full of Snap On and Mac tools, when you live where I do, you have to have the tools, it is to darn far to town to pick them up, I also have a tire balancer(spin) and a tire mounting machine, as well as a brake lathe, three welders and two 65 gallon air compressors, and an attachment for my tractor so I can use it as a lift. I end up doing most of the work for the local guys when they break things doing their work. I love working on mechanical things, so I guess I have over indulged in my hobbies!

:eek:

:D

PS, it is a amazing how much of a discount you get from both Snap On and Mac when you are in the Military. I bought most of this stuff overseas and had it shipped home when I came back stateside. I paid less for my 6+ foot Snap On Box than I would have for a Craftsman and love it, I had to replace the slides on the top drawer last year and they didn't charge me a dime and it is over 15 years old!

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey theres nothing wrong with little cheap boxes!, I started with a small little craftsman and still have it in my garage works great. I only have this one because i got it for just under a grand and i need more space bad.. being a motorcycle mechanic ive got too many tools that this one is already full lol

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Snap On, that has a trailer hitch on it and pneumatic tires, that I can tow behind my ATV It is full of Snap On and Mac tools, when you live where I do, you have to have the tools, it is to darn far to town to pick them up, I also have a tire balancer(spin) and a tire mounting machine, as well as a brake lathe, three welders and two 65 gallon air compressors, and an attachment for my tractor so I can use it as a lift. I end up doing most of the work for the local guys when they break things doing their work. I love working on mechanical things, so I guess I have over indulged in my hobbies!

:eek:

:D

PS, it is a amazing how much of a discount you get from both Snap On and Mac when you are in the Military. I bought most of this stuff overseas and had it shipped home when I came back stateside. I paid less for my 6+ foot Snap On Box than I would have for a Craftsman and love it, I had to replace the slides on the top drawer last year and they didn't charge me a dime and it is over 15 years old!

that sounds like an awesome box!! seems as though you have a lot of stuff, Wish i had all mac and snap-on lol. welder and compressor are deffs on the list to get for my garage!

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

At home I have a 26" 8-drawer Craftsman outfit (black) that the Wife got for me this past Christmas. Upgrade!!

At work, my main toolbox is a 32" wood chest that I made myself, with a red 8-drawer Craftsman on top. Wish I had a picture to show.....

<<)))(((>>

mscher

Lieutenant

With tool boxes, it's all about the drawers and the quality of the rails. Some of the imports have come a long way on quality.

I have and ancient Proto top, on a Craftsman bottom and a newer harbor Freight tool cart, plus many small boxes.

I'm always on the lookout for smaller, used carry tool boxes, put in loose power tools/blades and sorted boxes of fasteners, grease guns, etc. My goal is to have everything in a tool box, since I now have two garages, six miles apart.

Now I just have to remember what is where. ;)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I have a Craftsman upper and lower. Also, a Craftsman portable, shall we say, with 3 pull out drawers that I keep in my trailer(work) in case of equipment failure......

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I keep saying I`m gonna clean the garage, but then I wouldnt be able to find anything. :facepalm:

LOL. You're not the only one...........

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

that sounds like an awesome box!! seems as though you have a lot of stuff, Wish i had all mac and snap-on lol. welder and compressor are deffs on the list to get for my garage!

I guess you could call ift buying friends! LOL,

Not really most of the time, the guys pay me for the labor as well as the parts, and believe it or not, I really enjoy doing the work!

One thing I can add, no matter what you have, you will never have enough!

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

A friend said this one day and I had it printed up and its hanging in my garage. Minus the edits that is. lol
"I have replaced the need for cabinets by scattering all my s*^$ randomly across my work bench, then protecting said s*^$ from damage by piling a protective layer of more s*^$ on top.
I've also found that there's more room for my tools on the garage floor under my car than there is in my toolbox."

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Kennedy Roll Around, Riser, and Machinist Box on top. Sits next to a Craftsman work bench that has a Chests on each end.

southkogs

Staff member

Couple of cheap tool boxes on my shelving in the garage, and a nice open bag type.

...after reading this thread I now have tool box envy ;)

oldjeep

Admiral

Waterloo Traxx upper and waterloo made craftsman lower. Upper was a scratch and dent through ebay - I think I paid $200 for it. The craftsman stuff they make is not quite as heavy duty as the Traxx, but its ok.

P2150001.JPG

And the welding table I built has an old piece of crap craftsman work bench built in. Funny thing is that it made it work acceptably once there was some actual structure to keep the whole thing from flexing when the drawers were opened. You can see a bit of the old homeowner series craftsman stuff I had to the right - that stuff pretty much folded up on itself under the weight of the tools.

weldtablefinished.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral

Hey everyone,
Just thought I would start a thread and ask what kind of box everyones got! I currently have a 42'' international (yea i know its by far no snap-on lol but does the same thing for a lot less $$).

That international stuff comes pretty highly recommended by folks who actually own it. If I were buying again, I'd be looking at International and Montezuma in addition to the Waterloo stuff.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Between being a jack of all trades and owning a farm and all the equipment that goes with it, I have more tools than you could ever house in toolboxes. Not to mention tools boxes are not the most convenient when you can?t take the job to the tool box.

I have a handle held Craftsmen box in the garage for the "house" tools. I have a Craftsmen roll around (red) out in the separate 2-car garage that doubles as my ?primary? shop. A Kennedy roll around and a 3? x 7? enclosed metal cabinet full of tools out in the equipment shed. A 5-gallon bucket of misc. tools for ?field? repairs. A tool belt for fencing. A canvas bag full of tools, meters, etc. for electrical repairs. A 5-gallon bucket of plumbing essentials and 2 milk crates full of c-clamps, power brushes, grinding pads, gear pullers, etc. that are big to fit in the box.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I've got the same boxes Old Jeep has. Kinda cheap but have held up well for 20 years now. Mine are full of Snap-On and Mac stuff. A tool box will never make you any money like a quality TOOL will!

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class

My tool box for the boat is made plastic something, with every tool i used for working on the boat. -- take it out of one box ,, use it on the boat and leave it on the boat ..
Was able to empty and sort all the other tool boxes in 3 days after finishing the boat and had one more big Kobalt box empty when i was done . Last count is something like 18 boxes of sorta junk tools,,like 60 years of collecting them. LOL

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Something I learned from my Dad is collecting tools is the cats a-s ! I have a 52" Cornwell roll away (12 dr's) and 7 lookers full of mostly Snap-on,DeWalt and craftsman power tools and air tools but I am proud to say most of my mechanical tools are Snap ON AND ,Mac and the best part is I'm running out of starage room. So far my ole man is winning he has a 2 car garage full of every possible power tool made by Craftsman and 2 out buildings full of log splitters,chippers,tractors,leaf vacs and whatever else you can think of. My theory is tools are not to be sold they are to be collected and handed down!