!8' Holiday Closed Bow to Open Bow Conversion

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer
I am starting a new thread as someone may look for this topic in the future!!

I am doing the unthinkable - the Holiday is going to become open bow! As with certain things in life - there have been technological advances since 1968 - and one is the open bow. I am not going to move the windshield as far back as the SS's though as I think the dash farther up = better lines:

IMG_0233.jpg

Typically you see the dash all the way back to the start of the middle rubrail - I have loosened the windsheild - pulled the tape out and I am going to move it back about 8-10 inches - which I actually think looks better than the Holiday placement.

IMG_0234.jpg

I gotta say I was full of trepidation whipping out the buzz saw to chop the top off - but here she is. I plan to try to make things as "stock" as possible - I think the bigger challenge will be forming the aluminum angle to meet the inside curve. The above work doesn't involve a whole lot of technology but I will try to show step by step.

IMG_0239.jpg

Other off season tweaks will include a stereo and I might redo the floor vinyl

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer
Re: !8' Holiday Closed Bow to Open Bow Conversion

Step One is to redo the remaining front deck to make it strong. I made a cardboard template and laminated two layers of 1/2 marine ply together.

renovation002.jpg

I then used PL to laminate the 2 layers of plylam to the underside of the topside.

I added gussets - again using PL and plenty of clamps:

renovation004.jpg

The gussets are set back 1/2" and I will add a 3" strip of plywood bent along the radius to mimic the rest of the interior construction - and to give backing to the vinyl padding.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Update:

Here is a pic of the bow with the double layer of laminate done and a 1/2 plywood rip glued and screwed to the gussets:
IMG_0246.jpg

Next step was to add a corner edge - I used a 1/2x1/2 by 1/16 Aluminum angle - I initially tried PL but it didn't want to bite the new angle so I redid the adhesion with JB weld. Get alot of clamps!! JB also takes 24 hours but will withstand nuclear winters:

IMG_0248.jpg

Mock up of seating size:

IMG_0244.jpg

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

He is what the angle looks like after the clamps were removed - to me it looks "factory"
IMG_0258.jpg

We have a shop nearby that stocks many non typical Aluminum extrusions.

Here is one that accepts 2 pieces of ply to make a right angle. I will use it at the vertical corners.

IMG_0251.jpg

Here is another that has a nice 45 degree edge - I am using this at the joint in front of the windshield where the dash meets the front seat.

I am now dryfitting all the parts that form the new dash sections - phew - two dashes with a 4 piece windshield connecting them - Aluminum angles - sheets of plywood......

IMG_0252.jpg

The shop is Brunners Aluminum - they ship everywhere and the extrusions make difficult joints easy and cheap - and look professional.

cj8mule

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nice work. Looking good!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Shut the front door! Looks pretty stock.

If you pull the I/O and put an outboard on it, I'll have to disown you!:p

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice work. I better hide this thread and my Sawzall from my wife. She'll take the Sawzall to my Holiday because she prefers bow riders.

InMotion

Commander

WOW Man!!! Takes some guts to cut it open... !!! Nice looking work... looking forward to seeing your progress and process here!

IM

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Behold the awesome awesomeness of a Super Holiday Sport 18 I/O.....

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Couple observations:

It works great - and the one thing that helps is the older SC's have a much steeper angle of the hull rise - meaner the hull gets deeper quicker - gives you more room. I moved the windshield back 10 inches - still lots of room between doghouse seats and mid seats.

Speaking of dog houses - the puggle likes the new layout.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

What really through me off was the 10" move back - the floor to gunwale dimesnion was deeper by an inch and after hours and hours of trying to make the windshield mate up - I finally figgered it out. Here is what I used under the front:

Angle Iron:

All marine plywood with paint - covered all the joints with 90 degree aluminum angle.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

I would give the whole thing 2 thumbs up - I have always admitted that there is a reason why every boat is an open bow these days - my word of advice is to copy the blocking under the topside - you really want to be sturdy there.

Get a good upholstery guy!

Any questions - just ask.

Oh - and CBK - how is that eggbeater treating you??

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

<< Chug (the spastic version of a puggle :lol:)

this restoration & modifications are 100% top-notch! very nice!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

This the best closed to open tinny conversion. It looks like a factory job. Good job. :thumb:

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Superb work!!!!

InMotion

Commander

Terrifc job! Looks awesome! Better than factory!!!

J.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

WOW SUPER AWESOME!!!!!!:thumb: