Evinrude 9.9 Driveshaft length

tomjoad39

Cadet
Hello. After 3 days of soaking, fighting, and swearing alot, I was finally able to remove the driveshaft from the crankshaft of my 1982 9.9 Evinrude E10RCNS. Brake fluid!
Anyway, I fear that I may have damaged the driveshaft too badly to reuse (Vise Grips...) and I have been searching for a replacement. When searching the marine engine parts sites, I have been able to find a 'standard' shaft that is 15 inches, but no 22.5's. Is this an unusual size? Thank you.

bwkre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Evinrude 9.9 Driveshaft length

seems you must have the long shaft model for a 20" transom. The drive shaft is 5" longer than the standard. 0321456 D-SHAFT LONG/20"

PM me and I will give you the site it can be found on.
Some where to start.

It appears to still be available.
Good luck

tomjoad39

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I saw the 20 inchers, but mine measures 22.5
Could be that I dont understand the proper way to measure driveshafts, this is my first outboard...

mark1961

Ensign

I saw the 20 inchers, but mine measures 22.5
Could be that I dont understand the proper way to measure driveshafts, this is my first outboard...

Those measurements, 15" (standard/shortshaft) 20" (longshaft) refer only to the motors leg length from the top of the transom to the anti vent plate (the plate above the prop), nothing to with the actual length of the driveshaft. It will be longer because it reaches further into the lower unit. If the model number you posted is correct it corresponds with a 15" shortshaft so you need to order the driveshaft for that model.....recheck your model number to make sure its right.

If you havent marked your existing driveshaft in a critical area it may be fine to reuse....if in doubt post up some pics of the carnage.

Did the driveshaft have an oring installed up top below the crankshaft splines? Its supposed to have one there to protect the splines from moisture/corrosion. You will also want to rid all components of any lingering brake fluid.....the stuff will promote/accelerate the corroding process.....neutralise it with water then dry off.

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have two "15" inch short shaft driveshafts on my desk, waiting for me to take
them to the machine shop to have some corrosion pits metal sprayed and re-
ground. They measure 22 1/2" long (actually, they're 22 13/32"). The "short"
drive shafts have to reach from almost the centerline of the propeller shaft
up into the crankshaft on the powerhead, that's why they're longer than
the transom to anti-ventilation plate.

Mark1961 is right, the only critical area where the shaft needs to be smooth is
from just below the top of the water pump where the top water pump seal is,
to about 4" below that where the two grease/water seals for the gearcase are