Decarb for 59 johnson motor

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now that I have motor running should I decarb the motor. Just some history. I have rebulit carb,and entire ignition, new gas, plugs and plug wires. How often should a motor be decarbed? What would be the process for a motor at this stage of repair? Never done a decarb any tips would help. I have read some posts on other motors for decarding just wondering if it is the same on older motors?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Decarb for 59 johnson motor

Yup same holds true. There is a thread in the Top Secret Files about it.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its gonna smoke like a chimney right? I do not think this motor has ever had this done to it? I will give it a try this weekend.

roger56

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Decarb went well this weekend with one issue, After the second spay of cylinders and second trip out to flush out carbon motor starts to miss and then loss of power with no high speed. When back at dock after inspection I can see that the spark plug wire under the strator plate has been sheered in half. Only thing i may have done after first clean when removing plugs for cleaning the wires got pushed up against the the flywheel? Anyway replaced plug wire again and all was fine is there anyway to make sure that does noy happen again?