What is this called ? Is there something better to use ? See pic

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The gray spiral wrapping around the cable harness to my engine is cracking and breaking in a couple of spots. See pic . What is this called and is there something better to use. I assume it's to keep cables neat and possibly prevent sun UV rays from drying up the cables !! .. By the way that clear filter in pic provides a way to visually monitor fuel flow, I have a water separator/filter setup installed inside to actually do the heavy duty filtering.

IMG_20120913_125019.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What is this called ? Is there something better to use ? See pic

Believe it or not, it's called Spiral Wrap. You can get it about any place, auto parts stores, wally world, big box stores, hardware stores. Look around the electrical section.

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

Of course, be sure to replace it with GREY spiral wrap. The purple and red with green dots is not rated for marine use.

(You know I'm kidding, right?)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Believe it or not, it's called Spiral Wrap. You can get it about any place, auto parts stores, wally word, big box stores, hardware stores. Look around the electrical section.

Yep exactly. At work they buy it by the box and use it in electrical panels.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

If you want a really clean look you can use 1-1/2" corex (non-perf) and by the adapter for the cowling from Merc. I'm not on a computer with pics of some of he motors I've done it on but if I think about it this evening, I'll post it. Don't buy he corex from merc, just the cowling piece. The corex you can get cheap at HD. It also works just as good as smurf tube for running wiring in your boat without the additional cost the smurf. I run 1-1/4 up under my gun'ls and then pull the wire through it.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would like to see pics of what yr talking about if you can manage it.

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Just make sure it says that it is UV Rated, a majority of Loom and Spiral Wrap is not suitable for use in direct sunlight.

BugsBunnyBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Awww thats non marine stuff you recommended ( Smile)

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hate that stuff. If I had to use something I would just use the split loom, but I hate that stuff too. The previous owner had that stuff all over the boat. I just prefer to use zip ties to hold wires together. Never had any wire insulation go bad because of sunlight, but my boat stays under a shed when not being used.