Temperature sensor

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I currently have an idiot light on my dash that says "HOT" when /if the motor gets hot. I never saw it go on yet, fortunately, however, I am thinking about one of the head temperature sensors that are on the outside of the head and mounted by one of the head bolts and hooked up to a gage on the dash. The sensors need to be matched with a certain gage for the particular sensor that I purchase. I figured even if the temperature is not correct on the gage, it would give me and indiacation if the temp is going up in my motor. Seems better than a light, becuase once my light would go on, the engine is already hot, correct?

Does anyone have any comments on the head mounted temperatur sensor?? Thanks
edit: motor is an Evinrude, 1962 40 h.p.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Temperature sensor

May want to go to Radio Shack, find a cheap horn and wire it in parrell with rhe light.

iggyw1

I thought about that too, but wouldn't that be the same as the idiot light? The horn would sound off when the engine is "hot" correct? What I am trying to do is figure out a way to have an idicator aboard (whether or not the temperature it indicates is correct or not). I would like to know if the temp is getting hotter BEFORE the engine is already hot. Just wondering if anyone has the head temp. sensor that is mounted on a head bolt and it touches the head and sends a signal to a guage? I saw them on line somewhere, and was wondering if they work ok?? Didn't want to spend the money if it will not serve my intended purpose.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I know they are out there and maybe somebody will chime in with some info. I never liked them as the ones I've seen were never to accurate.

iggyw1

I think I am going to order one. I know the ones I looked at, you need a specific gage that is calibrated for the particular temperature sensor that is connected to the outside of the head. I really am not concerned with it being an accurate reading as I am as just having an indicator hooked up letting me know IF the temperature is on the rise instead of just an idiot light or horn to notify me when the engine is 'hot'. Thanks all.