Connector Rod am I getting ripped off?Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

bcnul8tr

Seaman
So I took my boat into the shop because I could here a rattling/banging type noise coming from what I thought was the outdrive. I could rev the enging in neutral and there was no problem, but when I engaged the drive anything about 2400 rpms and this noise would start (Sounds like a heat shield on a car rattling) it got louder as I gave it more power, under 2400 rpms, I couldn't hear any noise. The place where I took it, took it out for a water test, came back and said the connector rod is gone, and would have to be replaced. They are saying that because of the age of the motor, and that is a salt water boat, and the labour that would be involved in fixing it, that I would be better off in the long run to buy a remanufactured engine and have that put in instead of rebuilding it. As you can tell I do not have a lot of experience with boat motors, I have only had this boat for less then a year, and I don't even know if it is worth fixing. I paid $6000.00 and have put about $5500.00 into since I have had it, fixing the trailer, the upholstery, trim motor, alternator, gimbal bearing, water pump, new batteries etc.....

The boat is a 1991 Thomposon 195 Carrara (20 ft Cuddy), with a 4.3L 2BBL mercruiser. I did have an issue about a month ago where the temperature guage climbed from 150'F to about 220'F. I stopped the boat, and could see some white smoke coming out of the engine bay. There was a little bit of growth on the intake so I cleared it off, started it up and there was no other issues, and I have had it out a good 6 hours after that with no problem. They are saying that would have been the start of the problem, that when the engine temperature had climbed, it would have damaged a seal around the rod, and that if finally just let go...

So is what they are telling me correct?

Last edited:

500dollar744ti

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Connector Rod am I getting ripped off?Any help or advice would be greatly appreci

if you spun a bearing, which it sounds like you did, there's more damage than you realize, you probably had a lack of oil pressure, water in the oil or something of the like. for someone that's not mechanically inclined, you should replace the engine with a reman motor. fixing the rod will only put off the inevitable which is replacing or rebuilding the engine you have.

the reason you don't hear the noise when revving in neutral is because there's no load on the engine and the rod isn't being slammed around on the journal like it would under load.

rod knock is a heinous noise, i cringe at the very sound of it, you should not have been using it while it was knocking.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Connector Rod am I getting ripped off?Any help or advice would be greatly appreci

If you get another engine, be sure to replace the manifolds and elbows. They are the normal cause of engine failure in old boats. Especially salt water boats.

TilliamWe

Banned

1991 Thomposon ... I paid $6000.00 and have put about $5500.00 into since I have had it, fixing the trailer, the upholstery, trim motor, alternator, gimbal bearing, water pump, new batteries etc.....

Geezzzzz, you have spent A LOT of money on a 21 year old boat! And now you puked the engine? Yikes. Sorry for your predicament, you are throwing good money at bad. And have been from the minute you bought the boat.

mohead1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jeez....mine is 24 years old and I dont have alot of trouble.....good maintenance, a Chevy motor, few odds and ends, and its a classic good boat

500dollar744ti

what was your oil pressure reading before you started hearing this noise? what is your oil pressure now? what does the oil look like? when was it last changed?

do you even have a working oil pressure gauge?

bcnul8tr

Seaman

what was your oil pressure reading before you started hearing this noise? what is your oil pressure now? what does the oil look like? when was it last changed?

do you even have a working oil pressure gauge?

Oil pressure was normal, I had the oil and filters replaced at the end of last season, and there was/is the correct amount of oil in the engine.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

Geezzzzz, you have spent A LOT of money on a 21 year old boat! And now you puked the engine? Yikes. Sorry for your predicament, you are throwing good money at bad. And have been from the minute you bought the boat.

Being up in Canada things cost quite a bit more(Tax alone is 15% on everything). I have been trying to decide if I should toss the boat, and maybe get $1000.00 for it or replace the engine, and pray I have no more issues after that. I knew the boat was old, but the exterior is in great shape, all the guages worked, the Cuddy Cabin is immaculate, the guy I bought it from late last year had the mainteance records for winterizing, oil changes etc... for the last 4 years.

bcnul8tr

Seaman

If you get another engine, be sure to replace the manifolds and elbows. They are the normal cause of engine failure in old boats. Especially salt water boats.

Thanks for the advice, the place where I took it also recommended that as well. I am just waiting to hear the price of what it will cost for a new one installed. They was ball parking it around $7000-$8000 installed including tax.

500dollar744ti

do you have a craigslist up there? around here there are people fighting to re-power your boat because they need money and the deals are good.

with an estimate of that much money on the line i would definitely call around and get other estimates, you might find that there's someone out there with a spare motor they've been trying to sell and can do the job for half the cost.

best of luck.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Man for that kind of $ you can buy a few engines and take a class on how to install it! If you are gonna partake in this recreation your best bet is to educate yourself on the machanics of the vessel!.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

Man for that kind of $ you can buy a few engines and take a class on how to install it! If you are gonna partake in this recreation your best bet is to educate yourself on the machanics of the vessel!.

Lol!
For that money you can buy a newer boat...without a blown motor. If I didn't have the "where-with-all" to install it, I'd sell the shell, buy another, "water ready" vessel, and be done with it.

TilliamWe

Banned

Lol!
For that money you can buy a newer boat...without a blown motor. If I didn't have the "where-with-all" to install it, I'd sell the shell, buy another, "water ready" vessel, and be done with it.

He should have done that $11500 ago. :(

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Sorry about your issues and the way you describe it does sound like a rod bearing going out......time for a new motor.

Decisions – Decisions…What to do?

Get on the net and do some research. Buy a remanufacture long block here in the U.S. and have it shipped to the work shop instead of them marking the price up.

Or get a short block and transfer all your parts to the new one. Except for the new manifolds and risers that you need.
At least you will know what kinda boat you will have.

Good Luck!

500dollar744ti

your cheapest route, if the mechanics will go for it, is ordering a short block from Ebay, about $610 + frieght charges, having it delivered to the shop/marina and they can install it. you won't get a warranty which is one of the downfalls to providing your own parts but you will probably be able to get out the door for less than $3500, manifolds, risers, ebay short block and labor included.

without being mechanically capable you are getting the short end of the stick and there's not much you can do but work with what you got.

for me, if i were in your situation, i would grab a junkyard vortec 4.3 for $200 at my local yard, buy the manifolds and risers, do the marine treatment to the junkyard motor, transfer everything over and install it. with me doing all the work i'd be into it for about $800.

check this out... http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARINE-GM-C...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb6b44154&vxp=mtr

that would certainly save you some money.

NHGuy

Captain

Sent you a private message.

bcnul8tr

Seaman
Connector Rod am I getting ripped off?****UPDATE****

Connector Rod am I getting ripped off?****UPDATE****

So after having further talks with the shop, they are now saying that I should replace the entire engine, as the exhaust and manifolds should be replaced as well, and it would be more cost effective to just unplug, unbolt, haul it out, and drop a complete new one in. It should run me close to $7000.00 including tax (15% up here on everything) They are recommending a CPO (Certified Pre Owned) Mercruiser Engine Model/Part 865108R44. Here is the website talking about it, have a look on Page 16: http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/pdfs/repower/reman-catalog.pdf

Has anyone ever bought a CPO type engine before? I am a little concerned about the part where they say "CPO Engines will show some Evidence of use: Scratches, cosmetic, corrosion, and any number of hours are possible. Corrosion on the flywheel, alternator, exhaust ports, water jackets and accessories are possible"

Does anyone have any thoughts about this route, the engine itself would cost about $5800.00, and about $1200.00 + Taxes to install. Which is about $1000.00 more then I paid for the boat last August.

joewithaboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Connector Rod am I getting ripped off?****UPDATE****

Don't forget to get a second opinion. Ive seen lots of so called spun rods turn out to be something else.

Good luck!

TilliamWe

Banned

So this a USED engine from Mercruiser? I'll assume a complete REMANUFACTURED engine is even more?
I ask because my dad bought a 383MAG MPI remanufactured engine from a Mercruiser dealer a few years ago, and only paid $6500 without a core charge. Seems as if a used 4.3 should be A LOT less than $5800.

500dollar744ti

Does anyone have any thoughts about this route, the engine itself would cost about $5800.00, and about $1200.00 + Taxes to install. Which is about $1000.00 more then I paid for the boat last August.

they really want $5800 for a USED engine? that's pricey, and only a 1-year warranty? do some research, you can save yourself a lot of money by purchasing your own parts and having them delivered to the shop. if this shop won't install parts you provide, find someone that will.

here is a manifold riser set you can purchase, free shipping worldwide, $550. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-3-Ex..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item58958b25c7&vxp=mtr

here is a thoroughly re-manufactured 4.3L mercruiser marine engine, less than $2000, including shipping to a shop or business location, the ad states they ship worldwide. it has a 2 year warranty as well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-DOWN-M..._Accessories_Gear&hash=item27caa2279c&vxp=mtr

now think about it, let's say you provide the shop these parts, they are going to have to add on labor for swapping your old componets but it will be less overall. let's say you buy these two items, that's $2500 in parts, 2 year warranty on the motor. the installation charges will likely be around $1800.

now we are at $4300 TOTAL for re-power with newly re-built engine, new manifolds and risers and a 2 year warranty on the motor.

that's $2700 LESS than the estimate you just presented. and you may say, well the shop can't warranty the labor even though the engine has a warranty on the parts. that's right, they can't warranty the engine installation labor if the engine fails within the warranty period. HOWEVER if the engine does fail during the warranty period you will pay them another $1800, maybe less to install the replacement engine that's covered under warranty.

let's say that's the worst case scenario, you get a bum engine and you have to pay to have the warranty engine installed again. that's $4300 plus $1800 (may be less) to get a second motor installed within the 2 year warranty period. that puts you at $6100 IF that were to happen, it's unlikely. still $900 less than your 1 year warranty USED engine installation estimate.

for me it's a no-brainer. get the two items like i posted from ebay, save that $2700 for other things that may go wrong in the future. if you spend $7000 for that used engine and it takes a dump after the 1 year warranty is up, you are royally screwed.