1997 Evinrude 50HP cooling issue HELP

s4rhoolie

Cadet
Hello, after a month without problems (good times) my steering got frozen and i had to take it out from water for repair. We took it apart to get to a swivel bracket and axle, found that lower portion was not taking grease at all and corrosion and dirt did their toll. It turns super easy now and when putting the motor together we had to make new gasket for motor/exhaust manifold to be able to run...after complete assembly we started it and there is no water stream coming out from the motor and few minutes of running on idle with muffs on - HOT alarm sounded and we shut it down imediately. Again, we are puzzled, trying to get few more walleye fishing days out of our vacation, could use quick help to get the idea how to sort this one out...Water pump/impeller replaced few months back and prior to a steering problem it had great strong stream of water coming out...Thanks for any input that leads to solution (searched for similar issue but without luck)

s4rhoolie

Cadet
Re: 1997 Evinrude 50HP cooling issue HELP

problem solved, found piece of rubber obstructing the flow...lucky i guess
Thx

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer

Glad you were able to resolve your cooling problem!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Where did the rubber come from ??? Possibly the water pump impeller ???

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer

I had a piece of rubber in my pump housing tube also. If the impeller is broken, which mine was, look for every piece of the impeller. It could be lodged somewhere like mine was.