Newbie...need help with OMC control box

zonamama

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I just got this 1982 JC 24 foot pontoon. The motor started up so I figured that was a good sign...Anyway, it's got what I believe is 1978 Evinrude 55 HP / 55875S motor... Now that I got it home... I ran into a slight problem...I do apologize that I am not into all this boating terminology, education etc like I should be...My problem is that it came with OMC contol box...I've googled, searched forums etc and can't seem to come up with what model / year it is...Guess, I'm in a need of a new one, replaced one or to repair...It does not have the red plug, nor is there a red plug in the motor. I hopefully attached some pics of the control box.

I live in a 3 bar town in the 120 degrees temp, and so want / need to take this toon out. Any information on this control box would be greatly appreciated...
Thank you all so very much

Attachments

• 0728121929.jpg
    0728121929.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 0728121930a.jpg
    0728121930a.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 2
  • 0908120953.jpg
    0908120953.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 0908120950a.jpg
    0908120950a.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 2
Re: Newbie...need help with OMC control box

if the model number is correct then you are right about it being a 78.

you said the motor ran.......how did you start it with out using the key on the controller?

the motor should be a red plug for the year but things happen so please post some pics of the outboard especially under the cowling and the dash of the boat.

zonamama

Cadet

Thank you so much for your quick response. When we brought the boat home, found out that the throttle cable wasn't working...so we opened the control box..to replace the cable....bushings started falling apart, the top of the throttle handle came off...then the storms came.. so we just put the box back together quickly to get out of the storm. There's not really a dash, just a simple console, which has just a tachometer and horn button, on the side of the console a stereo, and speaker covering...the control box was attached to side railing of pontoon boat, with lots of electrical wiring.. If you still need pics of dash, I will be happy to post them
Again thank you so much...

Attachments

• 0913120905.jpg
    0913120905.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 0913120902b.jpg
    0913120902b.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 0913120902a.jpg
    0913120902a.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 0913120901b.jpg
    0913120901b.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 0707121612.jpg
    0707121612.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 1

CptAJ

Cadet

I think the powercutting plug has been removed on the control box (Bigger hole to the right on the first picture). If there was nothing there and the motor started it could mean that it has been shorted out so the motor can start without it.

Did you manage to put it back together? Have you tried starting the motor again?

Are you looking to fix this or do you just want us to point you to some compatible controls you can buy to replace this one?

bayoucat58

Seaman

I do not recommend tampering with the old pre-1990 control box's i do recommend to all of my customers it is safer and more practical to install an after market new one Tele-Flex makes them. And leave all of the worries (is it going to keep working) at the dock Happy Boating "Cat"

zonamama

Cadet

On the TeleFlex is there a particular model name or number that I should be searching for. I would like to look into it.
Good point....I would rather enjoy my toon, than to carry the extra weight of worries of if it will keep working or not on board with me

Thanks....

bayoucat58

Seaman

On the TeleFlex is there a particular model name or number that I should be searching for. I would like to look into it.
Good point....I would rather enjoy my toon, than to carry the extra weight of worries of if it will keep working or not on board with me

Thanks....

You can go to there site are probably find it here at I boats parts. I assume you will want a side mount unit with the proper cables http://www.teleflexmarine.com/ Let me know if i can be of assistance it's not a problem....Cat

cat the op says the red plug is missing on the motor so how will the teleflex hook up to the electrical system?

zonamama

Cadet

Cat,

I went and check out that website...Still alittle lost on which one would work....Our control box was like attached to the pontooon side railings...with all wires like one big old mess and then tape to the railings... I've been spending so much time looking for the old ones that all these new ones it's alittle confusing on how all the lovely wiring my toon has will work .... I would appreciate any direction that you can give...

when you get another one be it old or new will you remount it there or swap the handle to the other side and mount it to the consule

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I run a 1978 35hp Evinrude and around that time OMC used 2 different plugs inside the engine. One was red and the other was black. From what I remember the black plug does not have the wiring to connect a tach. Also the wire color codes are different. Somewhere in my computer mess I believe I have the color codes and the pinouts for both types but I'll have to look.

BRP also has a parts breakdown of those control boxes. I believe it is under accessories. The wire harness inside the engine was still available but very pricey and I believe a special order for the red plug. Black one is NLA.

Complete control boxes like that one used in my area run $50.00 to $150.00 and most include the wire harness.

bayoucat58

Seaman

If i am not mistaken it is a two or four wire control not hard to wire even if the harness has been tampered with. As for location you may want to use the Tele-Flex osprey model CH1700 HAS TILT N TRIM AND A CHOKE BUTTON THE HANDLE I GOT ONE FROM MY SUPPLIER LAST WEEK FOR JUST OVER THREE HUNDRED WITH BOTH 12' CABLES EXCUSE THE CAPS did not notice the button was on and i don't want to re-type. i just put that flush or dash mount on a friends boat he loves it.

bayoucat58

Seaman

Tele-Flex Controls all three models 002.jpgTele-Flex Controls all three models 003.jpgTele-Flex Controls all three models 006.jpg Zonamamma,Tele-Flex Controls all three models 005.jpg this should help you well it is all i can offer anyway as you can see this model comes with all of the necessary brackets and additional wire harness if the one that comes in the handle is not compatible with your set up. Just swap them out, the cover comes in chrome or satin good luck. I changed this one on a Gulfcoast 22' center console in under two hrs. It will be a huge benefit to you when pulling the cables secure the new one to the old one so when you are removing one you are pulling a new one at the same time. And will save you a headache "trust me" ! I also recommend a piece of good nylon i use shrimpers net dipped (green)twine when ever i have to pull wire from the battery compartment to the helm and i leave a few feet of slack and tie one end in the back somewhere and the other out of the way under the helm. That eliminates having to use a fish tape or whatever in what can be a time consuming and frustrating ordeal. The next time you need to pull wire for a fish finder G.P.S. or whatever your set to go. Good luck....Cat

Last edited:

zonamama

Cadet

I hope I'm not replying twice... If possible I would like to mount it to the console...but either place would be fine...

zonamama

Cadet

I have had a problem trying fo find a used one to even buy.... or not sure which used one would work...I have been given ideas on new ones which is greatly appreciated, cause even trying to figure that out was getting out of my league..

zonamama

Cadet

Thanks, I will check out that model...I know I just came across someone selling over here a pontoon console.. it's alot fancier than ours .... not sure if it would make sense to buy it ... since our console is so basic...no problems about the caps....I think my brother's boat are all like mounted to side of the boat...guess, that's all we have the experience with...

zonamama

Cadet

Thank you..anything on the wiring would be most helpful...

zonamama

Cadet

I do apologize...I've been trying to reply to each individuals post....maybe it's not working... I just want everyone to know how thankful I am for all the information... I truly appreciate all the information... .Although, I would like to go with new I also would like to check out some of those complete control boxes the Lieutenant was talking about....I'm gonna have my kid check all this out...He's like the wiring & mechanical part of the team...He's gonna have to do the work...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Two of the best places tp watch for used ones would be on ebay or craigslist. Unfamiliar with your location but just recently there was a add in our craigslist that the seller had 4 for sale and was only looking for $35.00 each. A great deal for someone in the market for one.