volvo 2.1 270 sterndrive shifting is backwards

zildgen70

Cadet
i recently baught this boat dirt cheap.new i was gonna have problems ,dont know if old owner had the gears apart or now but when i got it out in the water the other day for my maiden voyage,i shifted forward and it went into reverse,and vise versa,cant figure this out ,the hand control only hooks up one way and the marina says it must be the linkage hooked up backwards,but i cant find the linkage,i took a cover off the upper drive and all there was ,was a round bearing under the cover,a diagram of this would be great i have the 270 volvo manual but it has no diagram and olny tells how to take things apart and put them back tpo gether it does not show where the shift linkage is.any help would be greatly apreciated.

captmello

Captain
Re: volvo 2.1 270 sterndrive shifting is backwards

Welcome.

To change the shift direction you need to remove the shift cover, which is on the back of the outdrive, just below the top cover you removed. It is held on by two phillips head screws. Once the cover is off, you will find the linkage. There is typically a sticker inside the cover showing how to change the linkage around.

Let us know how it goes.:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully the drive is backwards because someone installed the wrong prop, and not that they changed the throttle/shift control. If the control is the problem, the reverse lock will not work.

In case your sticker is missing, here are the directions if the wrong prop.

Untitled1.jpg

zildgen70

Cadet

Welcome.

To change the shift direction you need to remove the shift cover, which is on the back of the outdrive, just below the top cover you removed. It is held on by two phillips head screws. Once the cover is off, you will find the linkage. There is typically a sticker inside the cover showing how to change the linkage around.

Let us know how it goes.:)

worked like a charm thanks.