5.7 VP starter chews up flywheel, wont turn engine.

millieboat

Recruit
I had a bad case of hydrolock. Mechanic replaced risers, head gasket and starter. The engine of course, locked up before and the starter clunked and ground and ate teeth.
Replaced ring, starter, hydro'd again at idle and it dieseled. Drained water, clunks and grinds then just spins.
New starter again, old one looks ok, noted bolt was bent. Checked block where bolts went in and was welded but is square on the block.
New starter won't engage just spins, 3rd ring on flywheel the mechanic and I are at a loss. Can it be a relay, the boat is a 1997 Chaparrel with 5.7 holly carb engine. help this is the 2nd time in 5 years this has happened and it ain't cheap.
Thanks in advance. jj

millieboat

Recruit
Starter eats flywheels

Starter eats flywheels

I had a bad case of hydrolock. Mechanic replaced risers, head gasket and starter. The engine of course, locked up before and the starter clunked and ground and ate teeth.
Replaced ring, starter, hydro'd again at idle and it dieseled. Drained water, clunks and grinds then just spins.
New starter again, old one looks ok, noted bolt was bent. Checked block where bolts went in and was welded but is square on the block.
New starter won't engage just spins, 3rd ring on flywheel the mechanic and I are at a loss. Can it be a relay, the boat is a 1997 Chaparrel with 5.7 holly carb engine. help this is the 2nd time in 5 years this has happened and it ain't cheap.
Thanks in advance. jj

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 5.7 VP starter chews up flywheel, wont turn engine.

A starter that spins but won't engage the flywheels means:

1) The solenoid is not shifting the bendix
2) The "new" starter is not really new but rebuilt by a questionable rebuilder and as such as a bad bendix.
3) It is the wrong starter for the application
4) The battery is weak
5) There is an alignment problem -- possibly not repairable since welding and bent bolts have been noted.
6) Stop worrying about the starter and fix the hydrolock issue.
7) Lastly, find a new mechanic.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Starter eats flywheels

Why are you not addressing the real problem? Why is it locking up?

millieboat

Recruit

We think we understand the hydrolock via the dieseling but since we can't get the starter to engage we can't test. It's not locked, the starter won't engage.

millieboat

Recruit

1&2&3 there have been 3 starters and 2 tooth confute. New battery.5 I've asked to see it when pulled as that's a concern of mine.6 until it will run we can't test the hydro repairs. 7. He's got the boat and I'm not putting out more$$$until it runs.
Kind of a catch 22 for me

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Please read the forum rules,....

Post yer question in 1 (One) forum, Only...