Need help with volvo 130D. Water in oil and thermostat question.

brower.22

Recruit
Hey guys, need some help with this issue. I bought this 77 thompson open bow a month back. It had super clean oil at the time of purchase which made me suspicious. Ran it on sea trial for about 30 minutes and oil came back fine. It was cheap so I went ahead and bought it.

After 3 days of hard use I started getting water in the oil in my 130D. Did not notice oil in the water which would indicate an oil cooler failure. No water leaking anywhere in the bilge and no cracks on exterior of block. Compression test showed 90,90,80,100. Thought that was okay. Pulled the water pump housing to see if the seals went bad which would allow water into the timing cover, seals were fine and the holes in between were clear. Pulled everything apart and took the manifolds and the head off.

The gasket looked fine, no noticable cracks anywhere inside the head or block. No indication on the gasket that there was a leak between the cooling holes. Pulled the oil cooler and took it apart. Tested it in a bucket of water with compressed air to see if any of the tubes had a leak. No leaks whatsoever. The intake side of the oil cooler did not have an o-ring, but I cannot see how this would make any difference as this oring does not seperate the water from the oil, just is a cushion between the bolt-on end and the main housing.

So I couldnt find any problem with the head gasket, oil cooler, or water pump housing.

When I took off the thermostat housing I noticed that there was no thermostat! This is the 130D which doesnt have the closed cooling system like the other similar models. Only raw water cooling, no antifreeze. I have read that this somehow may lead to overheating. When running it hard those first three days the temps were fine. Any way this could cause a problem which would allow water into the oil? Should or should I not install one? If so what temp?

What should I do next? Thinking of taking the head to a radiator shop to have it pressure tested. I plan on installing a new manifold gasket and new head gasket, just dont want to put it all back together and have the same problem. Thanks in advance for any advise!

captmello

Captain
Re: Need help with volvo 130D. Water in oil and thermostat question.

The best way to find the leak would have been to pressure test the engine cooling system before pulling the motor apart.

Those compression numbers are quite low, imo. Even though they are fairly even, it seems like a very tired motor. Factory specs show the aq130 to have 170-200 psi compression numbers.

You may need to bolt it back together and do the pressure test on the cooling system.

brower.22

Recruit

Got it. I thought those numbers were low compared to others I have read about. The motor ran great for the first three days I used it. Pulled my buddy up on skis and vice versa.

Now this cooling systems is not closed like other similar models. It has no antifreeze. I plan on installing new oil cooler o-rings, new manifold gaskets, and a new head gasket. I should then pressure test the raw water cooling system? How much would a radiator shop charge to pressure test the head? Might as well have this done while it is already off correct?

thanks!

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Missing the o-ring on inlet side of oil cooler could cause the problem as the o-ring seals the cap and the core. If you already have the head off it would probably be worth a trip to the machine shop to have them check for cracks and change to hardened seats. It could be good money after bad if the compression was that low and you are loosing it in the lower end.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

You didn't say when you checked compression. If the engine had not been run for a long period of time, or run very little, the compression readings don't mean a lot. Sine you've now run the engine hard a few times, might be a good idea to check the compression again to get a more realistic reading.

brower.22

Recruit

I will have the head pressure tested while it is off. How much should it cost to have it converted to hardened seats?

The compression readings were done after I ran the engine hard for 3 days. They were done by my mechanic buddy so I think they are reliable numbers.

Going to replace all three o-rings for the oil cooler.

brower.22

Recruit

Also does anyone have insight on the thermostat? Since there wasnt one in there Im not sure what temp to install. Should I even put one in? Thanks!

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

You'll need to have a thermostat in that engine. The way the water flow works, it'll just short circuit without one. You won't like the price but it is what it is!
View attachment thermostati.pdf